ALAN RAUL is the founder and lead global coordinator of Sidley’s nationally recognized Privacy, Data Security and Information Law practice. He represents companies on federal, state and international privacy issues, including global data protection and compliance programs, data breaches, cybersecurity, consumer protection issues and Internet law. Alan’s practice involves litigation and counseling regarding consumer class actions, FTC, State Attorney General, Department of Justice and other government investigations, enforcement actions and regulation. Alan provides clients with perspective gained from extensive government services, as well. He previously served as Vice Chairman of the White House Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board, General Counsel of the Office of Management and Budget, and of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and Associate Counsel to the President.
Alan serves as a member of the Privacy, Intellectual Property, Technology, and Antitrust Litigation Advisory Committee of the National Chamber Litigation Center (affiliated with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce). Alan also serves on the American Bar Association’s Cybersecurity Legal Task Force by appointment of the ABA President.
Illustrative of the breadth of Alan’s practice, representative types of matters handled include:
- Privacy and information security litigation, data breach incidents, regulatory investigations and compliance counseling.
- International data protection compliance programs and cross-border transfers.
- Consumer protection and advertising, labeling, trademark and litigation under the FTC Act, Lanham Act and state unfair business practice statutes.
- FTC actions involving consumer protection, privacy and information security.
- Cybersecurity and national security issues.
- Internet litigation and counseling under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, Electronic Communications Privacy Act and Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act.
- False Claims Act actions involving the Department of Justice and qui tam relators (including defense, financial service, food and agriculture industries).
- Administrative Procedure Act litigation addressing federal rulemaking and regulatory actions.
- USDA programs including food safety, biotechnology, school lunch and nutrition programs.
- Congressional and Inspector General investigations.
In addition to leading a “Privacy and Data Security” practice nationally rated by Chambers Global and Chambers USA, Alan is ranked by Chambers in its top tier of Privacy and Data Security practitioners. Chambers USA has described Alan as a “true ‘ambassador’ for the privacy sector” who “attracts praise for his deep knowledge of the field. Interviewees stress that ‘he gives invaluable advice’ and is known to be a strong litigator. He also earns plaudits for his regulatory compliance and data protection policy expertise.” He has been named as a leading international Internet and E-Commerce Lawyer in Who’s Who Legal. Alan was also named to Ethisphere Institute’s “Attorneys Who Matter” in Data Privacy/Security, which recognizes lawyers with the highest commitment to public service, legal community engagement and academic involvement.
In 1991, Alan co-founded the “Lawyers Have Heart” 10K run and walk, to benefit the American Heart Association. He continues his active involvement with the event.