Sidley’s Boston office was established in 2013 and has continued to expand with the addition of several lawyers who have practiced in Boston for many years. Harnessing Sidley’s global reach, our Boston lawyers collaborate across multiple legal disciplines to help clients achieve their business objectives. We advise clients in virtually every major industry, particularly those that are highly regulated worldwide, such as financial services, technology, life sciences and energy. In addition, our local presence allows us to seamlessly handle examinations and investigations at both the state and federal levels.
Our lawyers in Boston focus their practice on the following industries and areas of law:
- Securities & Derivatives Enforcement and Regulatory – We handle the full range of securities- and derivatives-related matters on behalf of broker-dealers, investment advisers and hedge funds. This includes providing regulatory, enforcement and litigation solutions in investigations involving the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), self-regulatory organizations, state attorneys general and state securities regulators. In addition, we advise clients on the multitude of laws that apply to the securities, futures and derivatives industries, including the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Dodd-Frank Act, 1933 and 1934 Acts, and Investment Company and Investment Adviser Acts of 1940.
- White Collar: Government Litigation & Investigations – Our lawyers represent corporations and individuals in a variety of corporate criminal defense and enforcement-related litigation. This includes internal investigations, grand jury investigations and enforcement actions before U.S. Attorneys’ Offices, the U.S. Department of Justice, the SEC, the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office and state regulators. We regularly assist companies in heavily scrutinized industries, such as life sciences and financial services, with the full scope of regulatory issues impacting their business.
- Litigation – We offer clients comprehensive litigation counsel in trial, appellate and arbitration matters spanning virtually every area of substantive law. Our team represents clients in complex commercial, criminal and civil cases, securities class actions and government enforcement matters. This includes defending corporations and their executives, public officials and other individuals in cases involving allegations of accounting, tax and healthcare fraud, false claims, and employment and environmental disputes.
- Investment Funds – Our practice covers the broad scope of legal and compliance issues that are faced by hedge, private equity and other investment funds, including their sponsors and advisers, under the laws and regulations of the various jurisdictions in which they operate. We counsel clients on a range of private equity matters, particularly in connection with all aspects of private equity fund formation.
- Privacy – Clients seek our counsel on an array of complex privacy matters at the intersection of law, technology and public policy. This includes advising on the implementation of global privacy and data protection compliance programs; corporate cybersecurity preparedness; strategies for navigating challenges to international digital trade and cross-border data transfers; and litigation and government investigations concerning alleged unfair or deceptive business practices regarding privacy and consumer protection issues.
- Energy – We represent a variety of clients on federal and state energy, electricity, natural gas, alternative energy and emissions matters. We also advise clients on regulatory issues involving energy and commodities trading, wholesale and retail market design, compliance issues and structured energy transactions. In addition, we represent clients on enforcement and investigatory matters before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, the CFTC, the National American Electric Reliability Corporation and other state and federal agencies.
Our local presence
With deep roots in the Boston area, our lawyers have established associations with many prestigious universities and organizations, such as the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the New England Legal Foundation. In addition, strong advocacy on behalf of clients has earned Sidley recognition by numerous industry groups. This includes Chambers Global, Chambers USA, Who’s Who Legal and The Legal 500 US, which recommended our lawyers in several categories in its 2015 edition. Our lawyers are frequently quoted in publications such as The Boston Globe, The Financial Times and The Wall Street Journal.
About our team
Our lawyers have decades of experience, drawing upon their prior service in government positions, as well as with regulatory agencies, to successfully advocate for our clients. The members of our team in Boston include the former General Counsel and Acting Secretary of the U.S. Department of Commerce, the former First Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of Massachusetts and several prominent practitioners from the SEC, CFTC and FINRA.