Sidley’s Los Angeles office, established in 1980, is one of the largest law offices in Los Angeles County. Having advised clients in California for more than three decades, we have a deep understanding of the local issues businesses face here. From groundbreaking regional startups and global Fortune 500 companies to major banks and investment firms, our lawyers provide high-quality and insightful legal advice across numerous industries. The firm’s culture of teamwork and collaboration helps the Los Angeles office to assist clients in myriad legal disciplines and to harness the talents of Sidley’s lawyers across four continents.
Our Los Angeles team of more than 150 lawyers assists with a wide variety of matters, including:
- Litigation—We advise clients in complex, high-stakes cases at both the trial and appellate levels, as well as in alternative dispute resolution (ADR) venues. This includes matters involving: consumer class actions; products liability; real estate litigation; unfair competition; copyright, trademark, false advertising and defamation litigation; business torts; SEC investigations; private securities class actions; privacy; professional liability and white collar criminal issues. Our team has achieved victories in landmark cases in all of these areas. Our litigation clients operate in numerous industries, including pharmaceutical, media and entertainment, technology, financial and professional services, real estate, apparel, automotive, furniture and home goods, and e-commerce.
- Real estate—Our lawyers are at the forefront of breaking developments in the real estate arena. We have advised clients large and small in some of the most innovative and sophisticated mortgage and mezzanine financings, sale leasebacks and workouts and restructurings. We counsel lenders, developers, builders, investors, owners and tenants in transactions that may involve anywhere from several million dollars for a single-site deal to multi-site, multistate portfolios with values in excess of $1 billion. Our services include assisting individuals and businesses with major leasing efforts, private equity investments and joint ventures. Working in tandem with our highly experienced real estate litigation team, members of our real estate group also frequently represent clients in litigation matters.
- Media and entertainment—Sidley’s media and entertainment lawyers are leaders in an industry converging with technology, handling numerous M&A and financing transactions, strategic alliances, and content development and digital distribution deals, as well as general corporate matters. Our lawyers have successfully litigated copyright, trademark, trade secrets, libel, defamation and First Amendment cases on behalf of well-known clients. We represent studios, networks, movie and television production companies, digital media producers, completion guarantors and distributors of content in a wide variety of entertainment transactions.
- Patent litigation—We have successfully represented clients to verdict in some of the most hotly contested patent cases. These matters often focus on the technological and scientific discoveries that are some of the most challenging in the law. Our intellectual property lawyers have litigated patent disputes across such complex areas as microprocessors and computer systems, medical devices, biotechnology and pharmaceuticals, as well as life sciences more generally.
- Renewable/clean energy—We advise clients who are investing in and developing new environmentally sustainable products, technologies and services, and renewable energy solutions (e.g., wind, solar, geothermal, biomass, battery storage) through an expansive array of financing, technology transactions and regulatory matters. From initial formation and financing to IPOs to later-stage structured financing, our team provides novel and pragmatic advice to businesses at all stages of the corporate life cycle.
- Employment and labor—Our team has successfully defended some of the most significant class action lawsuits filed against employers in California and across the nation, with several of the cases being dismissed outright. We handle all types of employment-related lawsuits on behalf of employers, including pay practice and wage hour cases, disparate impact and intentional discrimination cases, as well as wrongful termination and harassment lawsuits. We are also at the vanguard of assisting employers with strategies concerning management/union relations. Our team of preeminent labor law attorneys has represented numerous employers opposing union organizing campaigns and negotiated complex collective bargaining agreements that serve as models for their respective industries.
- Corporate—The diversity of experience within our corporate group matches the diversity of clientele and business opportunities in the Los Angeles market. Our clients range from emerging companies and startups to established private and public companies, Wall Street banks and a host of special opportunity hedge funds, private equity funds, private debt funds and venture capital funds. We advise corporations and financial institutions in the structure, negotiation and documentation of complex business transactions—e.g., M&A, financing, joint venture, partnering and restructuring—involving debt, equity, technology and intellectual property. Our clients come from a variety of industries, and, in particular, our lawyers have played a leading role in innovative transactions involving residential non-performing mortgage loans and real estate-owned (REO) properties.
The office features a number of other practices, including teams dedicated to corporate reorganization and bankruptcy, technology and intellectual property transactions, environmental and tax matters.
Recognition for the Los Angeles office
Excellent service to our clients has earned the Los Angeles office recognition in numerous industry publications. This includes the 2015 U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” Survey, in which our office received a first-tier ranking. Sidley was also selected as a California Powerhouse in Law360’s 2015 Regional Powerhouses series. Members of our team have been recognized as leading practitioners by BTI Client Service All-Stars, Best Lawyers in America, Chambers USA, The Daily Journal’s Top 100 Attorneys in California, The International Who’s Who of Commercial Litigators and The Legal 500, among other publications in the industry.
We are dedicated to providing services to organizations that otherwise would be unable to afford legal representation. The firm’s team in L.A. has been acknowledged for its pro bono efforts, including receiving the Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice’s 2013 Pro Bono Partner of the Year award and the ACLU’s Pro Bono Services and Community Service awards. The Recorder newspaper designated Sidley as a leading “Pro Bono Achiever” for the firm’s commitment to pro bono legal work in California in 2012. That same year, the Los Angeles office received the ACLU’s Access to Justice Award. Our lawyers currently sit on the boards of nearly 40 local nonprofit, civic, cultural and education organizations.