Alan S. Weil
ALAN S. WEIL is a partner in, and the head of, Sidley’s New York Real Estate group.
Mr. Weil’s practice is concentrated in the financing, development, acquisition and disposition of commercial properties, commercial lease transactions representing both landlords and tenants, the formation of real estate joint ventures and partnerships and real estate loan work-outs. Mr. Weil represents both banks and borrowers in permanent and construction loan originations as well as in loan restructurings and workouts. Mr. Weil’s lending practice has frequently involved securitized loans and structured finance transactions (junior participations, A/B Note structures, preferred equity and mezzanine financings) and the acquisition of distressed debt on real estate.
Recent representative transactions include:
- Representation of a developer in a joint venture to develop a 76-story mixed-use building in lower Manhattan, as well as in the mezzanine loan financing of the project.
- Advising the special situations group of an investment bank in an equity investment and mezzanine debt relating to real estate companies developing properties in Tbilisi, Georgia.
- Representation of a private equity fund in the foreclosure of equity pledges on entities owning properties in Florida and Texas.
- Representation of a mortgage REIT in the origination of loans, the purchase of loans, junior participation interests, mezzanine loans and B-Notes, and the restructuring of troubled loans throughout the U.S.
- Advising two Canadian pension funds in investments in real estate joint ventures owning and developing commercial properties in the U.S.
Mr. Weil is recognized in Chambers USA (2007-2014), Legal 500 USA (2010-2014) and is listed as a “Best Lawyer” in The Best Lawyers in America (2012-2015) for his work in Real Estate Law.