Alan S. Weil
ALAN WEIL head of Sidley’s New York Real Estate practice. With more than 30 years of experience as a real estate lawyer, Alan has had a diverse and varied practice, concentrating on the financing, development, leasing, acquisition and disposition of commercial properties, the formation of real estate joint ventures and partnerships and real estate loan work-outs. His career deal list includes some of the most important real estate developments in New York City, around the country and in Mexico. These range from early deals, including the construction financing for the Marriott Marquis Hotel in Times Square, to the financing and sale of the Times Square Hilton Hotel and Embassy Suites Hotel in Battery Park City, the acquisition in a pre-packaged bankruptcy by Bertelsmann of 1540 Broadway and more recently the development, financing and joint venture arrangements for 8 Spruce Street (“New York by Gehry”) and the financing of the Coach Headquarters Building at Hudson Yards. Alan’s career has included every type of real estate deal and almost every type of asset—he has represented and continues to represent both landlords and tenants in commercial lease transactions and both banks and borrowers in permanent and construction loan originations as well as in loan restructurings and workouts. Alan’s lending practice has frequently involved securitized loans and structured finance transactions (junior participations, A/B Note structures, preferred equity and mezzanine financings) and the acquisition of distressed debt on real estate.
Recent representative transactions include:
- Representation of a developer in multiple joint ventures and financings to develop a 76 story mixed use building in lower Manhattan.
- Representing a shopping center developer in the acquisition and financing of shopping malls across the U.S. as well as in joint ventures acquiring shopping malls.
- Advising the special situations group of an investment bank in an equity investment and mezzanine debt relating to real estate companies developing properties in Tbilisi, Georgia.
- Representation of a private equity fund in the foreclosure of equity pledges on entities owning properties in Florida and Texas.
- Representation of a mortgage REIT in the origination of loans, including construction loans, mezzanine loans and preferred equity and the sale of whole loans, junior participation interests and B-Notes, as well as the restructuring of troubled loans throughout the U.S.
- Advising two Canadian pension funds in investments in real estate joint ventures owning and developing commercial properties in the U.S.
Alan is recognized in Chambers USA (2007–2015) for “us[ing] his hospitality industry experience to close deals when working as lender and bank’s counsel. He is a key lawyer on financings, workouts and loan originations, and sources say that ‘he’s a practical guy and gets things done.’” He is also recognized in The Legal 500 US (2010–2015), Who’s Who Legal: Real Estate 2015 and is listed as a “Best Lawyer” in The Best Lawyers in America (2012–2016) for his work in Real Estate Law.