Sean A. Commons
SEAN A. COMMONS is a partner in Sidley’s Los Angeles office and member of the Complex Commercial Litigation practice. Sean has more than 14 years of experience litigating complex matters including class actions and qui tam claims. He has assisted clients faced with class actions, mass actions and coordinated proceedings brought under state and federal consumer protection, usury and unfair business practices statutes, including the UCL, CLRA, EFTA, FCRA, FDCPA, RICO and TCPA. Sean has successfully handled class actions and qui tam complaints in state and federal courts, including through appeal, on behalf of clients in the automotive, banking, consumer electronics, insurance, food supplement, food product, pharmaceutical and defense industries. Those representations have included:
- Dismissing qui tam and putative class actions at the motion to dismiss stage;
- Enforcing individual arbitration provisions to defeat class actions; and
- Defeating class actions at the certification and summary judgment stages.
In addition, Sean has assisted clients in implementing individual arbitration, forum selection and choice-of-law provisions in consumer contracts. He also has advised clients regarding document retention policies.
Law360 named Sean a Rising Star in Class Action litigation. California Lawyer magazine awarded him with a 2014 California Lawyer “Attorneys of the Year” (CLAY) Award. His distinguished pro bono work earned him the ACLU 2016 Humanitarian Award and ACLU 2012 Access to Justice Award in the immigration law category. Sean has also been recommended in The Legal 500 US 2015 and 2016 for Product Liability and Mass Tort Defense and .
Sean earned his J.D. from the University of Southern California Gould School of Law, where he served on Law Review. He received his B.A. from the University of California – Berkeley.
- Co-authored with Amanda Lopez, "An Emerging Trend in Enforcement of Forum Selection Clauses in Federal Court," BNA Class Action Litigation Report, (July 26, 2013)
- Board member, Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles
- Chair – Sidley Los Angeles Pro Bono Committee
- Chair – Sidley Los Angeles Professional Responsibility Committee