James F. Conlan
JIM CONLAN is co-leader of the firmwide Corporate Reorganization and Bankruptcy group and a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. Jim was born in Dubuque, Iowa, December 8, 1963 and became a partner in 1996.
Representative (public) engagements include:
- Dynegy Holdings (client, Debtor)
- Tribune Company (client, Debtor)
- RH Donnelley (client, Debtor)
- Smurfit-Stone Container (client, Debtor)
- Merisant (client, Debtor)
- Budget Rent A Car Corporation (client, Debtor)
- Meridian Automotive Systems (client, Debtor)
- Owens Corning (client, Debtor)
- Federal-Mogul Corporation, T&N Limited, et al. (client, Debtors)
- Pliant Corporation (client, Debtor)
- Sea Containers (client, Debtor)
- Pegasus Satellite Television (client, Debtor)
- Dow Corning Corporation (client, Baxter International, Inc., creditor and co-defendant)
- Florida Coast Paper Company (client, 50% Equity Holder)
- Pocket Communications, General Wireless, and Nextwave Personal Communications (client, Federal Communications Commission)
- ANC (Alamo and National Car Rental)(client, MBIA)
- Thorn Apple Valley (client, creditor and acquiror)
- Medshares (client, Unsecured Creditors’ Committee)
- Loewen Group, Inc. (out-of-court restructuring; client, senior debt syndicate)
- Lone Star Steel Company (client, Lone Star Technologies, Parent)
- One Financial Place (client, Debtor)
- Columbia Gas Transmission Corporation (client, Unsecured Creditors’ Committee)
- Fairchild Aircraft Corporation (client, senior lenders)
- USG (client, senior lenders)
- El Paso Electric (client, Debtor).
Jim was recognized as an “Outstanding Restructuring Lawyer” for 2016 by Turnaround & Workouts and a “Lawyer of the Year” in Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/ Insolvency and Reorganization Law in The Best Lawyers in America 2015.
Lectures and Articles:
- Lecturer, “Legacy Costs: Pension and Health-care Liabilities,” Milken Institute Global Conference 2005; Lecturer, “Cross Border Insolvency,” Insol (Cork, Ireland) 2003.
- Lecturer, “Bordering on Bankruptcy, Dealing with Troubled Companies in the New Economy,” Fall 2001.
- Lecturer, “What You Need to Know About Internet, eCommerce and Chapter 11, Investment Opportunities In The Distressed Market,” Spring 2000.
- Co-Author, “CLE, Abandonment — An Issue of Priority,” February, 1991.
- Co-Author, “U.S. Implications for U.K. Solvent Schemes of Arrangement, And More,” The Insurance Receiver, 1998.
- Co-Author, “Environmental Law Developments,” The Secured Lender, 1996-1999.
- Co-Author, “Representing the Secured Creditor,” IICLE Bankruptcy Practice, 1990 (Supp. 1992).
- Director, Heartland Financial USA
- Director, Dubuque Bank & Trust Company (member of Loan Committee)
- Director, Citizens Finance
- Director, DB&T Insurance