David A. Form
DAVID FORM focuses his practice on hedge funds and other alternative investment products and their investment advisers in connection with corporate, regulatory and compliance matters. David’s clients implement a broad variety of strategies, including long/short equity, credit arbitrage, distressed credit, mortgage-related, quantitative/systematic, reinsurance and multi-strategy and range in size from startup managers to large institutional advisers.
David’s representative matters include:
- Formation and launch of newly formed hedge funds;
- Negotiation of single investor funds, separately managed account agreements, and side letters;
- Negotiation of seed capital and minority interest arrangements; and
- Development of hedge fund management company operating agreements.
David previously served as an in-house attorney and Chief Compliance Officer for a startup asset manager focused on quantitative-based equity market-neutral strategies. Drawing on this experience, David regularly advises clients on various regulatory and compliance matters from an in-house perspective. David has a particular focus in advising clients on regulatory reporting obligations relating to Form PF and Form CPO-PQR.
David also has experience advising clients on other unique asset management-related products, such as employee securities companies and Investment Company Act considerations relating to index-based structured notes.
David is part of Sidley’s Investment Funds, Advisers and Derivatives practice team that has won numerous top awards as a provider of legal services to the private funds industry: two-time winner of Chambers and Partners’ “Investment Funds Team of the Year for the U.S.”; Institutional Investor’s Alpha magazine’s 2014 Alpha Awards top “onshore” (U.S.) law firm serving the hedge fund industry; four-time recipient of first-tier national rankings in the U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” rankings for Private Funds/Hedge Funds Law, and Derivatives and Futures Law; and ranked in the top band for Hedge Funds by Chambers USA every year since 2008.
- Presenter, “Investment Managers: Lost in the alphabet soup of the new CFTC/SEC regulatory regime?” Sidley Austin LLP Webinar (November 2012)
- Panelist, “Form PF: Lessons Learned and Not Learned From the August 2012 Initial Filing,” Sidley Austin LLP Event (Greenwich, October 2012)
- Lead Speaker, “Form PF Luncheon: All the Wiser, What We Learned From the First Filing,” Credit Suisse Prime Services Regional Event (Chicago, October 2012)
- Panelist, “Form PF: Overcoming the Challenges and Understanding the Ramifications,” Sidley Austin Event (Greenwich, June 2012)