Gary D. Gerstman
GARY D. GERSTMAN is a partner in the firm’s Chicago office. He joined the firm in 1992 and became a partner in 2000. His practice encompasses a wide variety of transactions, including: the representation of purchasers and sellers in mergers and acquisitions involving public and private entities; issuers and purchasers in private equity and debt transactions; strategic alliance and joint ventures; and issuers in public offerings of equity and debt. These transactions have involved companies in a variety of industries, including health care and technology companies. In IFLR1000 (2011) and The Legal 500 (US) (2009, 2014), Mr. Gerstman was commended for his work in mergers and acquisitions. Mr. Gerstman also regularly advises NYSE and NASDAQ issuers on a broad range of matters, including the federal securities laws and corporate governance.
Clients served in representative transactions (twelve of which were in excess of $1 billion) include:
- Aon Corporation in its merger with Hewitt Associates, Inc., the sale of Combined Insurance to ACE Limited, the sale of its Sterling Life Insurance unit to Munich Re, the sale of its warranty business to Onex Corporation, the sale of its U.S. premium finance business to BB&T Corporation, the sale of its wholesale brokerage business to Hicks Muse, the sale of its claims processing business to Scandent Group and the sale of certain property/casualty operations to Berkshire Hathaway
- Allscripts Healthcare Solutions, Inc. in its merger with Eclipsys Corporation, several transactions with Misys plc, the acquisition of A4 Health Systems, Inc., the acquisition of Extended Care Information Network, Inc. and the acquisition of Advanced Imaging Concepts
- Catamaran Corporation (formerly SXC Health Solution Corp.) in its merger with Catalyst Health Solutions, Inc. and numerous acquisitions, including National Medical Health Systems, Inc., MedfusionRx, LLC, HeatlhTran, LLC, and Restat, LLC
- eBay Inc. in the sale of a controlling interest in Skype to an investment group led by Silver Lake and other acquisition transactions, including Braintree, Inc.
- IGT in its acquisition of Double Down Interactive
- First Data Corporation in its acquisition of an interest in Paymentech Inc. and its joint venture alliance with Bank One and J.P. Morgan Chase (including the break-up of Chase Paymentech) and in its joint venture alliances with each of Wells Fargo, SunTrust and Huntington Bank
- Equity Office Properties Trust in its sale to The Blackstone Group
- The Special Advisory Committee of the Clear Channel Board of Directors in the sale to TH Lee and Bain
- Saks Incorporated in the sale of its Northern Department Store Group to The Bon-Ton Stores, Inc. and the sale of each of its Profitt’s/McRae’s business and its Parisian business to Belk, Inc.
- Medline Industries, Inc. in its acquisition of Professional Hospital Supply, Inc. and the international surgical products business of CareFusion Corporation
- GHX in its sale to Thoma Bravo
- Tellabs, Inc. in its acquisition of Advanced Fibre Communications, Inc.
- True North Communications, Inc. in its sale to The Interpublic Group of Companies
- Commonwealth Edison Company in the sale of its fossil-fired plants to Edison International
- Tootsie Roll Industries in its acquisition of Andes Candies from Brach’s Confections
- AptarGroup, Inc. in its acquisition of the Emson Group and other various acquisitions and investments
- Allscripts Healthcare Solutions, Inc., Aon Corporation, AptarGroup, Inc. and Catamaran Corporation in private and public offerings of securities
- GE Capital in numerous private investments
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association