HANK BARRY is co-chair of Sidley's Emerging Companies and Venture Capital (ECVC) practice and a founder of the firm’s Palo Alto office. Prior to joining Sidley, Hank was a managing director at Hummer Winblad Venture Partners in San Francisco. From 2000 to 2002, he served as CEO and a Board member of Napster, Inc.
Hank has advised many prominent technology companies as a lawyer, investor and director, including seven companies in which he was involved from formation through IPO. He represents Amazon.com Inc. and other companies in digital media matters, as well as technology startups and venture capital firms.
Hank represented Baidu, Inc. in connection with its breakthrough agreement with One-Stop China (a joint venture of Universal Music, Warner Music and Sony Music) for the distribution of digital music in China. In 2013, he represented Society6 LLC in its acquisition by Demand Media, Inc.
He has testified twice before the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee with respect to technology and intellectual property policy.
A frequent speaker at industry conferences on topics related to venture capital, emerging companies, digital media and copyright issues, Hank has been a guest lecturer at Stanford’s Program in Law, Science & Technology and the Berkeley Center for Law & Technology. He is consistently recognized as a leading practitioner in his field by various publications including The Legal 500 US and The Best Lawyers in America who named him San Jose Lawyer of the Year 2016 for Technology Law. Hank currently serves on the Board of Directors of KQED, Inc. and is a member of the VLAB MIT Enterprise Forum.
- State Bar of California
- KQED, Board Member
- VLAB MIT Enterprise Forum
- Theatreworks, Emeritus Trustee
- Speaker, “Legal: Corporate/IP/Policy Considerations,” The Cleantech Open National Academy West (Burlingame, CA, June 2014)
- Moderator, “Quasi-Copyright Reforms,” 18th Annual BCLT/BTLJ Symposium: The Next Great Copyright Act (San Jose, CA, April 2014)
- Moderator, “The Future: What’s Next for the Venture Industry? Venture Capital thought leaders debate the challenges and opportunities facing Investors and Entrepreneurs,” 2nd annual Venture Summit West conference (Computer History Museum, Mountain View, CA, February 2014)
- Moderator, “Top Trends to Watch – What’s Hot, What’s Uncertain, and What’s Hype,” 2013 Venture Summit (San Jose, CA, November 2013)
- Speaker, “The Implications of the New JOBS Act on Startups and Investors,” AngelLaunch, (New York, NY, November 2013)
- Speaker, “Finance Hacking: Seed, Angel, and Venture Financing, and More,” (Mountain View, CA, October 2013)
- Speaker, Jumpstart Our Business Startups Act, (Palo Alto, CA, September 20, 2013; with Thomas Kim)
- Moderator, “Lessons from Other Intellectual Property Regimes,” Berkeley Center for Law & Technology, Reform(aliz)ing Copyright for the Internet Age (Berkeley, CA, April 18-19, 2013)
- Keynote Speaker, “Ride The Horse In The Direction It Is Going: Change And Your Legal Career,” Northwestern University’s Eighth Annual NJTIP Symposium (Chicago, IL, March 7, 2013)
- Speaker, Presentation on “Advancing Business Strategies in Washington, D.C.,” Bay Area General Counsel Roundtable (Menlo Park, CA, October 2011)
- Speaker, University of California, Berkeley Center for Law and Technology “Copyright @ 300” Symposium (Berkeley, CA, April 2010)
- Keynote Speaker, University of Michigan “Markets for Patents” Research Conference (Ann Arbor, MI, February 2010)