HANK BARRY is co-chair of Sidley's Emerging Companies and Venture Capital (ECVC) practice and a founder of the firm’s Palo Alto office. Prior to joining Sidley, Hank was a managing director at Hummer Winblad Venture Partners in San Francisco. From 2000 to 2002, he served as CEO and a Board member of Napster, Inc.
Hank has advised many prominent technology companies as a lawyer, investor and director, including seven companies in which he was involved from formation through IPO. He represents Amazon.com Inc. and other companies in digital media matters, as well as technology startups and venture capital firms.
He has testified twice before the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee with respect to technology and intellectual property policy.
Hank is a frequent speaker at industry conferences on topics related to venture capital, emerging companies, cybersecurity, eCommerce, digital media and copyright issues, and he has been a guest lecturer at Stanford’s Program in Law, Science & Technology and the Berkeley Center for Law & Technology. He is consistently recognized as a leading practitioner in his field by various publications including: Who’s Who Legal (2016) in the area of Telecommunications Media & Technology; The Legal 500 US and The Best Lawyers in America, who named him San Jose Lawyer of the Year 2016 for Technology Law, and he is also recognized in the areas of Information Technology and M&A Law. Hank currently serves on the Board of Directors of KQED, Inc., The Milt Olin Foundation and he is a member of the VLAB MIT Enterprise Forum advisory board.
- State Bar of California
- KQED, Board Member
- VLAB MIT Enterprise Forum
- Theatreworks, Emeritus Trustee
- Moderator, “Privilege Access Intelligence Leveraging User Behavior Analytics,” SINET Showcase (Washington,D.C., November 2, 2016)
- Speaker, “Bridging the Gap Between Innovators and Regulators,” – General Counsel Roundtable (Menlo Park, CA, September 2016)
- Speaker, “Cybersecurity, Terrorism, Extremist Content, and Government Surveillance,” 13th Annual Stanford E-Commerce Best Practices Conference, Stanford Program in Law, Science and Technology Center for E-Commerce (Stanford, CA, June 6, 2016)
- Moderator, “Both Sides of the Table,” TiEcon (Santa Clara, CA, May 7, 2016)
- Moderator, “The Journey of The Entrepreneur: Trials and Tribulations,” SINET IT Security Entrepreneurs Forum (April 19, 2016)
- Moderator, “The Future: What’s Next for the Venture Industry?”, Venture Summit West conference (Mountain View, CA, March 2, 2016)
- Speaker, “How to Negotiate a Termsheet,” TiE (Santa Clara, CA, January 21, 2016)
- Moderator, “Defining Cybersecurity to Protect Rights and Liberties,” SINET Showcase 2015 (Washington, DC, November 2015)
- Pitch contest judge, Igniters: Stanford Entrepreneurs & Silicon Valley Founders,: “Pitch and Showcase” (Mountain View, CA, April 29, 2015)
- Moderator, “Venture Capitalists Deep Dive Into Cyber,” SINET IT Security Entrepreneurs’ Forum (Mountain View, CA, March 17, 2015)
- Moderator, “Discussion with Venture Capitalist, Heidi Roizen, Operating Partner, Draper Fisher Jurvetson,” VLAB Founders Series (Palo Alto, CA, March 12, 2015)
- Moderator, “The Changing Venture World: What Can We Expect for the Next 24 Months?” 3rd Annual Venture Summit West conference (Mountain View, CA, February 2015)
- Speaker, “Legal: Corporate/IP/Policy Considerations,” The Cleantech Open National Academy West (Burlingame, CA, June 2014)
- Moderator, “Quasi-Copyright Reforms,” 18th Annual BCLT/BTLJ Symposium: The Next Great Copyright Act (San Jose, CA, April 2014)
- Moderator, “The Future: What’s Next for the Venture Industry? Venture Capital thought leaders debate the challenges and opportunities facing Investors and Entrepreneurs,” 2nd annual Venture Summit West conference (Computer History Museum, Mountain View, CA, February 2014)
- Moderator, “Top Trends to Watch – What’s Hot, What’s Uncertain, and What’s Hype,” 2013 Venture Summit (San Jose, CA, November 2013)
- Speaker, “The Implications of the New JOBS Act on Startups and Investors,” AngelLaunch, (New York, NY, November 2013)
- Speaker, “Finance Hacking: Seed, Angel, and Venture Financing, and More,” (Mountain View, CA, October 2013)
- Speaker, Jumpstart Our Small Business Startups Act, (Palo Alto, CA, September 20, 2013; with Thomas Kim)
- Moderator, “Lessons from Other Intellectual Property Regimes,” Berkeley Center for Law & Technology, Reform(aliz)ing Copyright for the Internet Age (Berkeley, CA, April 18-19, 2013)
- Keynote Speaker, “Ride The Horse In The Direction It Is Going: Change And Your Legal Career,” Northwestern University’s Eighth Annual NJTIP Symposium (Chicago, IL, March 7, 2013)
- Speaker, Presentation on “Advancing Business Strategies in Washington, D.C.,” Bay Area General Counsel Roundtable (Menlo Park, CA, October 2011)
- Speaker, University of California, Berkeley Center for Law and Technology “Copyright @ 300” Symposium (Berkeley, CA, April 2010)
- Keynote Speaker, University of Michigan “Markets for Patents” Research Conference (Ann Arbor, MI, February 2010)