Joseph W.K. Chan
JOSEPH W. K. CHAN is a corporate lawyer with two decades of experience representing Fortune 500 and Global 500 companies, sovereign wealth, private equity and hedge funds, prominent emerging growth companies, and state-owned Chinese enterprises in a variety of cross-border transactions. Joseph’s experience spans the life sciences, energy, financial services, automotive, retail and technology industries. He has worked on over US$50 billion of transactions, including going private bids, strategic mergers, tender offers, asset and stock acquisitions, joint ventures, divestitures, private placements, initial public and follow-on offerings. Representative transactions include:
- Strategic acquisitions and divestitures involving many major multinationals in various industries such as life sciences, financial institutions, automobile, insurance and technology.
- Going private bids involving companies listed on the NYSE and NASDAQ, representing the consortium, special committees or financial advisors.
- Private equity and venture portfolio investments and divestments by leading sovereign wealth funds, strategic investors and private equity investors.
- Prominent global hedge funds with respect to their China entry, trading and fund raising strategies.
- Prominent private equity, venture and hedge fund sponsors and fund investors in a variety of fund formation mandates including health care and technology funds.
For many consecutive years Joseph is recognized by Chambers Asia Pacific, Legal 500, and IFLR 1000 as one of Asia’s leading lawyers in private equity, M&A and capital markets. Chambers Asia Pacific identifies him as a lawyer who “lives and breathes private equity.” IFLR 1000 touts his “deep experience in working with the full spectrum of the private equity cycle.” IFLR 1000 further calls him “an expert counsel on strategic investments in Chinese companies.” In the Corporate/M&A chapter of the 2015 edition of Asia Pacific Legal 500, the Sidley Austin team in China was noted for its “in-depth market knowledge” and Joseph was singled out for his “strong understanding of China financial strategies.” In addition, in the 2017 edition of Chambers Asia Pacific, Joseph is praised for his "strength in Chinese rules and regulations." One interviewee adds: "He is very experienced in fund investments and gives us guidance not only on the law, but on business." Further sources note: "He persevered through a very complex transaction."
Joseph is listed by Euromoney’s Expert Guides as one of the world’s leading lawyers for M&A. He is featured in AVCJ/Private Equity Asia Who’s Who in Private Equity. He is the author and editor of Venture Capital and Private Equity in China, the first definitive bilingual treatise published by LexisNexis and China Law Press.
Joseph frequently speaks at industry conferences. His views have been quoted and published numerous times in The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Harvard Business Review, Bloomberg Businessweek, Forbes, FinanceAsia, Washington Post, South China Morning Post, Caijing, and 21st Century Business Herald, among others. Joseph has presented at such leading universities as Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Shanghai Jiao Tong and Fudan.
Joseph was a judicial intern to the Honorable Royce C. Lambert, United States District Court for the District of Columbia. Over the years, Joseph has participated in a number of committees of the Business Law Section of the American Bar Association, including Corporate Compliance, Developments in Business Financing, Negotiated Acquisitions and Venture Capital & Private Equity.
Joseph is fluent in Mandarin Chinese, Cantonese Chinese and English.
- Featured commentator on the impact of the new regulatory regime on hedge funds in China, article “China Hedge Funds to Blossom Under New Rules; New Laws Regulating China’s Hedge Funds Also Tipped to Provide Opportunities for Growth”, The Wall Street Journal, November, 2014
- Featured commentator on the continued flow of private equity investments into China, particularly in the technology, media and telecommunications (TMT) sector, Asian Legal Business, October, 2014
- Featured commentator on the regulatory development of the Shanghai Free Trade Zone, article “A Muddy Track Now, but by 2020, China’s Answer to Wall St.”, The New York Times, April, 2014
- Feature commentator on the predicament of foreign banks to open branches in the mainland’s first free-trade zone in Shanghai, South China Morning Post, January 2014
- Featured commentator on why Chinese acquisitions of overseas companies hit a record high in 2013, but the value of inbound deals has stagnated in recent years, The Wall Street Journal, January, 2014
- Featured commentator on re-listings of U.S. listed Chinese companies and the Hong Kong stock market being the most favorable destination overseas re-listings for these companies, The Wall Street Journal, August, 2013
- Featured commentator on the difficulties of the buyouts for U.S.-listed Chinese Firms, The Wall Street Journal article, July, 2013
- Featured commentator on the key milestones and decisions of Wanxiang Group’s acquisition of A123, 21st Century Business Herald, April, 2013
- Featured commentator on how China listcos can restore their status, AsiaMoney, April, 2013.
- Featured commentator on foreign private equity firms raising funds in RMB, The Wall Street Journal, April, 2013
- Featured commentator on solar-panel maker Suntech Power Holdings Co., which has been forced into Chinese bankruptcy proceedings, The Wall Street Journal, March, 2013
- Featured commentator on a variety of timely subjects concerning Chinese technology companies, Forbes, October, 2012
- Featured commentator on the development of technology companies in China, article “Tech Boom Sweeps China, But Some Sense a Bubble”, The Washington Post, December, 2007
- President, Penn Club of Shanghai
- Board of Directors, Wharton Club of Shanghai
- Former Chairman, Board of Trustees, Dulwich College Shanghai (2009-2015)
- Former Board of Directors, Asia America MultiTechnology Association (Shanghai) (2007-2015)
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of San Francisco