MARK GLASSER is a partner in Sidley’s Houston office. He brings 36 years of experience in federal and state courts to the prosecution and defense of energy, securities, and professional liability litigation.
Mr. Glasser represents energy industry participants in a wide variety of matters. He has handled and tried cases for exploration, service, and mid-stream companies involving royalty, implied covenant and other leasehold disputes, drilling mishaps, tubular and sub-sea pipeline failures, indemnification, insurance, joint operating agreements, area of mutual interest agreements and other agreements surrounding the exploration, production and transportation of oil and gas.
Mr. Glasser also represents financial institutions, accounting firms, and issuers of securities in the defense of derivative and securities class action litigation, in shareholder proxy disputes and in other complex litigation. Mr. Glasser counsels companies and their officers and directors in internal and independent investigations of corporate conduct, compliance and reporting, including representing audit committees and special litigation committees in such matters. He regularly represents clients before the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Mr. Glasser has also handled a wide variety of disputes for plaintiffs and defendants in trade secret litigation, litigation regarding the enforceability of non-competition agreements (including employee "raiding" claims), and claims of fraud, tortious interference and breach of fiduciary duty emanating from various industries and commercial sectors.
Following graduation from law school, Mr. Glasser served as a law clerk to the Honorable William Wayne Justice of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas.
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Recognized in Chambers USA as a leading practitioner in General Commercial Litigation from 2006–2015
- Recognized in Legal 500 in the area of Energy Litigation from 2012–2014
- Recognized in Benchmark Litigation in the area of General Commercial and Securities Litigation from 2012–2015
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America from 2006–2015, as a leading practitioner in Commercial Litigation, Securities, Mergers and Acquisitions Litigation and Energy Litigation
- Recognized in the 2015 edition of Who’s Who Legal: Energy
- Recognized in the 2014 edition of Who’s Who Legal: Litigation
- Recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer in the areas of Business Litigation, Securities Litigation, and Energy and Natural Resources Litigation, 2005–2014 and as one of the Top 100 lawyers in the Houston region, 2007 and 2008; named one of the nation's Top Business Litigators by Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel, 2008–2014
Publications, Speeches and Presentations:
- "The shareholder’s right of books and records inspection under Texas statutory and common law," InsideCounsel, January 2015
- Roundtable: Litigation, Who’s Who Legal, October 2014
- "The Assignment of Oil & Gas Leases: Conditions, Constraints, and Consequences," The Center for American and International Law 62nd Annual Oil & Gas Law Conference, Houston, February 2011
- "Oil & Gas Class Actions: The Condition of Texas Law and the Impact of the Class Action Fairness Act of 2005," State Bar of Texas 23rd Annual Advanced Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law Course, Houston, September 2005; Midland, November 2005
- "The Enforceability of Letters of Intent," Houston Business Journal, February 2004
- "Forms of Proof in Non-Trial Proceedings," State Bar of Texas Advanced Evidence and Discovery Course, Austin, November 1998; Vail, December 1998
- "On Parol: The Construction and Interpretation of Written Agreements and the Role of Extrinsic Evidence in Contract Litigation," Baylor Law Review, Volume 49, #3, 1997
- "The Role of Extrinsic Evidence in Contract Litigation," State Bar of Texas Advanced Evidence and Discovery Course, Santa Fe, May 1997; Dallas, December 1997; Santa Fe, May 1998
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board of the Texas Pretrial Practice Treatise, 2005-2015
- Member, Texas Supreme Court Advisory Committee, 2009 - 2012
- Member, State Bar of Texas Pattern Jury Charge Oversight Committee, 2006 - 2010
- Chair, Houston Bar Association Securities Litigation and Arbitration Law Section, 2005 - 2012
- Director, Federal Bar Association, South Texas Chapter, 2000 - 2001
- Chair, Houston Bar Association, Federal Practice Section, 2003 - 2005
- Advisory Board Member, The Center for American and International Law Institute for Energy Law, 2010 - present
- Advisory Board Member, The University of Texas Center for Global Energy, International Arbitration and Environmental Law, 2010 - present
- Advisory Council Member of the University of Texas School of Law Center for Public Interest Law, 2004 - present
- Member, Executive Committee of the Alumni Association of The University of Texas School of Law, 2005 - 2011
- Director, Texas Appleseed, 2007 - present; Chair, Development Committee, 2011- present
- Trustee, Foundation for the Retarded, 2009 - 2013; Vice President, 2010 - 2013
- Sustaining Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation