Jennifer Haworth McCandless
JENNIFER HAWORTH MCCANDLESS focuses her practice in the area of international dispute resolution, including investment treaty arbitration and international commercial arbitration.
In arbitration, she has advised and represented private and sovereign clients in proceedings before the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) and its Additional Facility, as well as in ad-hoc arbitration such as under the Arbitration Rules of the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL). She has also advised and represented private parties and governments in WTO disputes. In addition, she has counseled clients on the selection of arbitration clauses to be included in investment treaties and in international commercial agreements. Ms. Haworth McCandless has also advised clients on domestic court litigation involving U.S. trade practice.
Ms. Haworth McCandless has spoken on issues concerning international arbitration and investor-state dispute resolution including at seminars and workshops sponsored by American University’s Washington College of Law, the U.S. Council for International Business’s Young Arbitrators Forum, and the International Law Section of the D.C. Bar. In addition, Ms. Haworth McCandless has served for a number of years as the Chair of the Joint Swearing-In Ceremony for the US Court of International Trade and the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit sponsored by the International Law Section of the American Bar Association. She also served as a member of the Investment Subcommittee of the U.S. State Department’s Advisory Committee on International Economic Policy Regarding the U.S. Model Bilateral Investment Treaty in 2009 and Regarding the Implementation of the OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises in 2010. Ms. Haworth McCandless is also the co-chair of the DC Committee on the Promotion and Retention of Women.
Prior to entering private practice, Ms. Haworth McCandless clerked for two years for Gregory W. Carman, former Chief Judge of the U.S. Court of International Trade in New York. In addition, she served as a legal intern with the U.S. Trade Representative’s (USTR) office of General Counsel in Washington, D.C. and with the USTR’s Office in Geneva, Switzerland. She also served as a legal intern at the United Nations in New York and has worked at the World Bank in Washington, D.C.
Ms. Haworth McCandless is listed as a recommended lawyer in International Arbitration the Legal 500 Latin America 2013-2014.
- Co-author, “Transnational Legal Practice,” 43 The International Lawyer 943, (2009)
- Co-author with Stanimir A. Alexandrov, “LG&E v. Argentina: Important Contributions to Investor-State Jurisprudence Concerning Argentina,” International Bar Association Arbitration Newsletter, (October 2007)
- Co-author with Stanimir A. Alexandrov, “Bayindir v. Pakistan: Important Contributions to Investor-State Jurisprudence,” International Bar Association Arbitration Newsletter, (May 2007)
- Co-author, “International Legal Developments in Review: 2000 -International Trade,” 35 The International Lawyer 407, (2001)
- Co-author, “Law and Agreement in APEC,” in Trading Arrangements in the Pacific Rim, ASEAN AND APEC, (1997)
- American Society of International Law
- Women in International Trade
- American Bar Association, International Law Section
- London Court of International Arbitration
- Institute for Translational Arbitration Advisory Board