Pamela J. Martinson
PAMELA MARTINSON represents major institutional and other lenders, lessors, borrowers and equity sponsors. She possesses extensive experience in complex financings of all kinds, including syndicated lending transactions (secured and unsecured), equipment leasing, asset-based lending, unitranche loans, subscription finance and structured finance. Pamela regularly handles the debt aspects of sponsor-led acquisition transactions. Her practice in large part centers on cross-border loans and security, intercreditor relationships and lending to technology and growth companies. She has been instrumental in developing loan and lease documentation for commercial lenders and equipment lessors and has experience in lease and loan financing of early-stage companies that include the issuance of warrants. She advises clients with respect to credit, workout and Uniform Commercial Code issues.
Pamela has more than ten years of experience as a banker and commercial lender. She was employed by an asset-based lender and a commercial bank in credit, credit management and sales positions. She was responsible for asset-based lending operations including credit analysis, collateral control and portfolio management. She developed and implemented workout arrangements for problem loans. She marketed private-label leasing programs to U.S. vendors of equipment, and sold and structured tax-advantaged leases on behalf of a bank leasing company.
With her business experience as a lender and lessor, Pamela understands and appreciates the credit risk and other business aspects of a financing and is a valuable resource in structuring debt and lease transactions.
- Panel Member, Getting the Money – Roadmap of a Financing Transaction, ABA Webinar (January 2016)
- Panel Member, Venture Debt: Uses, Trends and Terms, NVCA Corporate Venture Summit, Sunnyvale (October 2015)
- Speaker on the subject of Intellectual Property Collateral at the Creditors’ Rights Subcommittee of the ABA, San Francisco (April 2015)
- Panel Chair and Speaker, Bitcoin and Electronic Payment Platforms, ABA Annual Meeting, Chicago (August 2014)
- Panel Chair and Speaker, Venture Lending, ABA Annual Meeting, San Francisco (August 2013)
- Panel Member, Two’s Company, Three’s A Crowd: Tri-Party Agreements in Commercial Lending Transactions, ABA Annual Meeting, Chicago (August 2012)
- Meeting co-chair and speaker, Security Interests, Collateral and Debtors at Home and Abroad: Beyond the DC Filing Office, ABA Annual Meeting (August 2010)
Awards and Honors
- Named the Best Lawyers' 2014 Palo Alto Banking and Finance Law "Lawyer of the Year"
- Named the Best Lawyers’ 2012 San Francisco (metro area, including Palo Alto) Securitization and Structured Finance Law “Lawyer of the Year”
- Leading lawyer in Banking & Finance, Chambers USA (2011–2015)
- Leading lawyer in banking law and structured finance law, The Best Lawyers in America (2007–2016)
- Leading lawyer in bank lending, The Legal 500 (2012)
- Leading lawyer in equipment finance law, The Best Lawyers in America (2011–2016)
- Fellow, American College of Commercial Finance Lawyers (Board of Regents 2012–2015)
- "Bitcoin and the Secured Lender," Banking & Financial Services Policy Report, (June 2014, co-authored with Christopher Masterson)
- “Emerging Payment Systems Require New Learning By Creditors,” Law360, (January 2014, co-authored with Christopher Masterson)
- “BankThink: The Hazards of Lending to Bitcoin Users,” American Banker, (January 2014, co-authored with Christopher Masterson)
- “A Lease is a Lease is a … Loan? Avoiding Recharacterization,” LJN’s Equipment Leasing Newsletter (December 2012)
- “Building a Solid Forbearance Arrangement,” Western Independent Banker (January/February 2010)
- “I Got the Pink Slip Daddy: Perfecting a Security Interest When a Certificate of Title is Involved ,” ELT: The Magazine of Equipment Leasing & Finance (September/October 2009)
- Co-chair, Women in Law Empowerment Forum Advisory Board
- American Bar Association, Vice-chair of Secured Transactions Subcommittee
- BuildOn West Coast Board
- Past member, Executive Committee, Business Law Section, State Bar of California
- Past member, UCC Committee of the Business Law Section, State Bar of California, and chair of Subcommittee on Legal Opinions