Robert A. Ryan
ROB RYAN focuses on the representation of issuers, underwriters and other transaction parties across an array of SEC-registered and exempted capital markets transactions, such as initial public offerings, preferred and common equity offerings and various types of debt offerings (including investment-grade debt, high-yield notes, structured notes and covered bonds). Rob also advises clients with regard to ongoing disclosure, reporting and corporate governance matters.
Selected recent transactions and experience include acting as:
- Issuer’s counsel for Athene Holding Ltd’s initial public offering.
- Issuer’s counsel for Synchrony Financial on multiple SEC-registered senior debt offerings.
- Issuer’s counsel for CytomX Therapeutics Inc.’s initial public offering.
- Underwriters’ counsel in connection with First Republic Bank’s initial public offering and multiple subsequent common stock, preference share and debt offerings.
- Issuer’s counsel for Aon plc and affiliated entities on numerous SEC-registered senior debt and related offerings.
- Underwriters’ counsel in connection with IBERIABANK Corporation’s August 2015 preference share offering.
- Underwriters’ counsel in connection with Brown & Brown, Inc.’s inaugural US$500 million senior debt offering.
- Placement agent’s counsel for U.S. Bancorp Investments, Inc. on numerous private placements for financial institutions.
- Designated underwriters’ counsel for a variety of issuers across multiple sectors and geographies, including BGC Partners, Inc., Daimler AG, Federal Realty Trust, LaSalle Hotel Properties, Stryker Medical Corporation and Weingarten Realty Investors.
Rob is an editor of and contributor to the firm’s Accessing the U.S. Capital Markets and other securities law publications. Though based in the firm’s New York office for the majority of his career, Rob spent three years in the firm’s London office, and completed extended secondments in the firm’s Hong Kong and Sydney offices. Rob has been recommended in The Legal 500 and in Euromoney LMG as a 2015 “Rising Star.”
Rob is co-chair of the New York office Summer Associate Committee as well as a member of the New York Bar Association and the American Bar Association. He regularly presents at the firm’s Corporate College and other training and development conferences, and serves as a volunteer mentor with Read Ahead.
In addition to his extensive capital markets and corporate experience, Rob maintains an active and meaningful pro bono practice. He advises legally underserved emerging businesses through Sidley’s Africa-Asia Agricultural Enterprise Pro Bono Program, which provides legal advice to small- and medium-sized agricultural-related enterprises and development of non-governmental organizations centered in Africa and Asia. Further, Rob represents several petitioners in connection with clemency appeals submitted through Sidley’s partnership with the Clemency Project 2014.
- Panelist, “Indentures and Public Debt,” Sidley Austin LLP Corporate College 2016 (New York, September 2016).