Samir A. Gandhi
SAMIR GANDHI is the co-practice leader of the New York Corporate group and focuses on capital markets offerings, corporate matters, private equity transactions and transactions involving India.
Sam represents issuers and underwriters in a broad range of capital markets activities and has extensive experience advising corporate clients on disclosure and governance matters, complex financial structures, public offerings and private placements. He has represented clients in numerous industries including financial services, insurance, industrials, clean energy, REITs, life sciences, restaurants, retail and entertainment. Sam also represents domestic and foreign fund sponsors, investment banks and other private investors in their private equity and venture capital activities.
Sam also advises U.S. companies with operations in India, including advising on outsourcing issues, joint ventures and foreign direct investment. Sam has represented India-based companies on acquisitions and joint ventures in the U.S. and advises investment funds in their investment activities in India.
Recent matters include:
- Representation of the underwriters in securities offerings by ABB Ltd., American Campus Communities, BGC Partners, Inc., Cantor Fitzgerald LP, CHS, Inc., The Depository Trust Company Corporation, First Republic Bank, F.N.B. Corp., Fortune Brands Home & Security, Franklin Financial Network, Inc., Freddie Mac, Fuel Systems Solutions, Land O’ Lakes, Inc., O’Reilly Auto Parts, Pennsylvania Real Estate Trust, Popular, Inc., Retail Opportunity Investment Company, Stryker, Inc., Tompkins Financial, UMB Financial, USAA and Westfield Corporation.
- Representation of Alaska Communications Systems, AmTrust Financial Services, Athene Holding Ltd., Cantor Commercial Real Estate Company, L.P., Maiden Holdings Ltd. and National General Holdings Corp. as issuer in public and private securities offerings.
- Representation of Evolution Media Capital in corporate and advisory matters
- Representation of the Confederation of North American, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) in their corporate, governance and media matters.
- Representation of Equity International in an equity investment in SAMHI Hotels, a hotel operator in India.
- Representation of the sponsor and fund in the establishment of each of HDFC Property Fund and Kae Capital Fund, each international funds targeting investments into India.
Sam’s leadership in such matters has earned him acknowledgement in numerous industry publications. According to Chambers & Partners, sources praise Sam for his “‘tremendously practical approach in cutting through the chaff and getting to what's important,’ as well as for his excellent availability and responsiveness.” Clients also told Chambers that Sam is “‘an outstanding attorney who really knows his subject matter’ and describe him as “‘very communicative’ and ‘approachable and practical.’” The Legal 500 recognized Sam in its 2013 edition in the areas of capital markets debt and equity offerings, with sources telling the publication he is “‘unequivocally a top lawyer.’” Sam has been acknowledged as a leading lawyer in the publications The Legal 500 2010–2015, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers 2006–2016, Chambers Global 2007–2015 and Chambers Asia 2010–2011. He was named in Diversity & the Bars as one of the “15 Rainmakers Who Always Shine,” in 2015. Sam has also been recognized in the 2016 edition of Who’s Who Legal: Capital Markets.
Sam is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee, a co-chair of the firmwide Marketing and Practice Development committee and co-practice head of the New York Corporate group.
Sam is also a member of the 2016 FIFA Reform Committee.