Sara B. Brody
SARA BRODY is a commercial litigator whose practice focuses on securities litigation and corporate governance disputes. She is co-leader of the firm’s Securities and Shareholder Litigation practice group and heads the Northern California litigation practice. She has extensive experience in securities litigation, defending issuers, officers, directors, underwriters and venture capital firms in shareholder class actions and derivative actions in state and federal courts throughout the United States. She regularly represents companies and individuals in matters involving the Securities and Exchange Commission and various self-regulatory organizations. Sara also has extensive experience in conducting internal investigations and counseling clients on disclosure issues. She has written articles and lectures on a wide range of securities litigation topics in legal and business forums across the country.
Sara won one of the Top Ten Defense Verdicts of 2002, as selected by The National Law Journal. She is listed as one of the leading California litigators in the 2005 through 2016 editions of Chambers & Partners’ America’s Leading Business Lawyers, the 2012 through 2017 editions of The Best Lawyers in America, the Daily Journal as one of the Top Thirty Securities Litigators in California and was shortlisted as Litigator of the Year at the Chambers USA Women in Law Awards. Additionally, Sara has been listed as a “Life Science Star” in the Non-IP Litigation and Enforcement category by LMG Life Sciences for 2016.
- Apple eBooks Derivative Litigation, Santa Clara County Superior Court. Represents directors of Apple, Inc., in derivative litigation.
- SunEdison Securities Litigation, N.D. Cal, E.D. Missouri, District of Maryland, San Mateo Superior Court, St. Louis Superior Court. Represents SunEdison and its officers in shareholder class actions, large individual investor actions, derivative and ERISA cases.
- Diamond Foods, Inc. N.D. Cal, San Francisco Superior Court and Delaware Chancery Court. Represented the Chief Executive Officer of Diamond Foods in a securities class action pending in the Northern District of California and derivative cases in the Northern District of California and the San Francisco Superior Court.
- In Re: Wachovia Preferred Bond/Notes Litigation, S.D.N.Y. Represented 72 underwriters in litigation regarding Wachovia’s bond and note offerings.
- In Re: Wachovia Equity Securities Litigation, S.D.N.Y and Second Circuit. Represented the underwriters in securities class action regarding Wachovia’s equity offerings: case dismissed on motion to dismiss and settled during appeal to the Second Circuit.
- Alphatec Spine Securities and Derivative Litigation, S.D. Cal and San Diego Superior Court. Represented Special Committee of the Board of Directors in securities class action and derivative litigation.
- Wilshire Bancorp Securities and Derivative Litigation, C.D. Cal and Los Angeles Superior Court. Represented Wilshire Bancorp and certain of its officers and directors in securities class action and derivative litigation.
- Conceptus Merger Litigation, Santa Clara Superior Court and Delaware Chancery Court. Represented purchaser in litigation arising out of acquisition of Conceptus, Inc.
- Magma Design Automation Merger Litigation, Santa Clara County Superior Court and Delaware Chancery Court. Represented Magma and its directors in litigation challenging the sale of Magma to Synopsis, Inc.
Recent SEC investigations include representations of a professional services firm in a multinational insider trading inquiry, representation of an investment management company in a failed leverage bond fund representation of a bank’s securities lending unit in connection with an inquiry into disclosure and investment practices, representation of the controller of a venture fund in connection with issues of disclosures and management fees, representation of the CEO of a public company in a matter involving allegations of financial statement manipulation.
- “Securities Class Actions in the Life Sciences Sector,” 2015 Annual Survey (Spring 2016).
- “Securities Class Actions in the Life Sciences Sector,” 2014 Annual Survey (Spring 2015).
- “Gathering evidence for stockholder disputes: California books and records inspection demands,”InsideCounsel (January 2015).
- “District Court Dismisses Insider Trading Complaint Against Mark Cuban,” Financial Fraud Law Report (October 2009).
- State Bar of California
- American Bar Association
- San Francisco Bar Association (past President Securities Litigation Section)
- Board Member of the Legal Aid Society – Employment Law Center
- Board Member of the Bolinas Museum