Sara B. Brody
SARA BRODY is a partner in the firm’s San Francisco office and is global co-chair of the firm’s Securities and Shareholder Litigation practice group. She has extensive experience in securities litigation, defending issuers, officers, directors, underwriters and venture capital firms in shareholder class actions and derivative actions in state and federal courts throughout the United States. Ms. Brody won one of the Top Ten Defense Verdicts of 2002, as selected by The National Law Journal. She is listed as one of the leading California litigators in the 2005 through 2014 editions of Chambers & Partners’ America’s Leading Business Lawyers, the 2012 through 2015 editions of The Best Lawyers in America, the Daily Journal as one of the Top Thirty Securities Litigators in California and was most recently shortlisted as Litigator of the Year at the Chambers USA Women in Law Awards. She regularly represents companies and individuals in matters involving the Securities and Exchange Commission and various self-regulatory organizations. She has written articles and lectures on a wide range of securities litigation topics in legal and business forums across the country. Ms. Brody also has extensive experience in conducting internal investigations and counseling clients on disclosure issues.
Representative Recent Engagements
- In Re: Wachovia Preferred Bond/Notes Litigation, S.D.N.Y. Represented 72 underwriters in litigation regarding Wachovia’s bond and note offerings.
- In Re: Wachovia Equity Securities Litigation, S.D.N.Y and on appeal to the Second Circuit. Represents the underwriters in securities class action regarding Wachovia’s equity offerings: case dismissed on motion to dismiss and currently on appeal to the Second Circuit.
- Alphatec Spine Securities and Derivative Litigation, S.D. Cal and San Diego Superior Court. Represents Special Committee of the Board of Directors in securities class action and derivative litigation.
- Wilshire Bancorp Securities and Derivative Litigation, C.D. Cal and Los Angeles Superior Court. Represents Wilshire Bancorp and certain of its officers and directors in securities class action and derivative litigation.
- China Green Agriculture Securities and Derivative Litigation, D. Nevada and Nevada State Courts. Represents the company and its officers and directors in various securities actions in Nevada federal and state courts.
- Diamond Foods, Inc. Represents the Chief Executive Officer of Diamond Foods in a securities class action pending in the Northern District of California and derivative cases in the Northern District of California and the San Francisco Superior Court.
Recent SEC investigations include representations of a professional services firm in a multinational insider trading inquiry, representation of an investment management company in a failed leverage bond fund and representation of a bank’s securities lending unit in connection with an inquiry into disclosure and investment practices.
- State Bar of California
- American Bar Association
- San Francisco Bar Association (past President Securities Litigation Section)
- Board Member of the Legal Aid Society Employment Law Center