Scott R. Lassar
SCOTT LASSAR is a partner in the Chicago office and a global co-leader of the firm’s White Collar practice group. Prior to joining the firm, Scott was the United States Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois in Chicago.
Scott's practice involves all aspects of white collar criminal defense, including price fixing, anti-bribery, securities fraud, insider trading, environmental crimes, tax fraud, and healthcare fraud. Scott also has conducted over 40 investigations for public and private companies.
Scott has tried over 45 cases in federal court as a prosecutor and in private practice, including trials involving price fixing, health care fraud, securities fraud, securities and commodity trading, accountant’s liability, trade secrets, and federal criminal violations.
Scott serves on the American Bar Association/Department of Justice Dialogue Group, which meets regularly with the Attorney General on white collar crime issues.
Scott also serves as an arbitrator with the American Arbitration Association.
Scott is recognized in the 2016 edition of Who’s Who Legal: Business Crime Defence. Scott is also named as a leading lawyer in Chicago for litigation in white-collar & government investigations by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2012–2015). Additionally, Scott is recognized in The Best Lawyers in America 2013–2016 in Bet the Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, White Collar Criminal Defense and Securities Litigation. Scott is also recognized as a Litigation Star in the United States in the 2014 and 2015 editions of Benchmark Litigation.
Representative White Collar Representations
- Represents VW executive in diesel emissions investigation.
- Represents Japanese companies and executives in several automotive supply cartel investigations.
- Represents executives in DOJ/SEC FCPA investigation of major international retailer.
- Represented energy company executives in investigation of Gulf of Mexico oil spill.
- Represents an investment bank in allegation of syndicated mortgage fraud.
- Represented CEO in trial for investor fraud in aircraft leasing industry.
- Represented individual in allegation of computer hacking.
- Represented former CEO and Chairman of Kmart in several law suits and investigations, including trial against SEC.
- Represented hedge fund in DOJ investigation of financial collapse.
- Represented director of public company and four other executives in five insider trading investigations.
- Represented hospital under investigation for false billing to the government.
- Represented attorney indicted for extortion in regard to Governor Blagojevich investigation.
- Represented national healthcare company in criminal investigation regarding deaths caused by medical devices.
- Represented aluminum recycler in Clean Air Act criminal investigation.
- Represented national securities firm in criminal investigation of allegation of conspiracy to defraud customers of clearing broker.
- Represented multi-national pharmaceutical company in criminal investigation of off-label marketing.
- Represented Korean company regarding indictments of employees for theft of trade secrets in U.S.
- Represented former CEO in investigation of accounting fraud by Fort Worth office of SEC.
- Represented subject of criminal investigation into violation of export laws regarding India’s nuclear program.
Representative Investigations and Due Diligence
- FCPA investigations in India and the Middle East for Fortune 500 multi-national corporation.
- Performing FCPA due diligence in acquisitions of global pharmaceutical company and insurance companies.
- Investigation of accounting issues surrounding restatement at Navistar.
- Advised Fortune 100 multi-national on FCPA issues in Russia, India, Indonesia, and the Philippines.
- Investigation of price discrimination regarding off-shore pipeline.
- Nicor – Allegation of fraud against rate payers at gas utility.
- Allegations of tax fraud at Fortune 500 manufacturer.
- Allegations that health care company defrauded clients by misrepresenting results achieved.
- Allegations of fraud by CEO of oil drilling supply business.
- Allegation of accounting fraud in reporting income by national home security company.
- Allegation of bribery of Chief Operating Officer by vendors of national construction company.
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers