Sharon R. Flanagan
SHARON FLANAGAN has 20 years of experience representing companies in a broad range of merger and acquisition transactions, securities offerings and corporate governance matters, with a particular industry focus on lifesciences, technology and financial services companies. Sharon serves as the San Francisco office managing partner and is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. She was selected by The Recorder as one of 10 Power Players in California as lawyers who stand out as “trailblazers, mentors and advocates for women in tech.”
Some notable transactions include representing the following:
- Genentech (a member of the Roche Group) in its acquisition of Seragon Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a biotechnology company that develops and manufactures next-generation oral selective estrogen receptor degraders for the treatment of hormone receptor-positive breast cancer for $725 million in cash and up to $1 billion in milestones.
- PayPal Inc. in its acquisition of Xoom Corporation (NASDAQ:XOOM), a leading international digital money transfer provider for $890 million in cash.
- Roche Molecular Systems in its acquisition of Genia Technologies, a DNA sequencing company, for $125 million in cash and up to $225 million in milestones.
- Medivation Inc. in its acquisition of talazoparib, a drug candidate to treat germline BRCA-mutated metastatic breast cancer and other cancers, from BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. for $410 million in cash and up to $160 million in milestones.
- eBay Inc. in the sale of Skype Technologies to Silver Lake Partners for $2 billion.
Sharon also advises a number of public companies on corporate governance, disclosure and other SEC compliance matters, as well as ISS/proxy advisory firm matters, stockholder proposals and corporate governance best practices.
Sharon is currently representing a cross-community international working group in the historic and closely-followed transition of the oversight of Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) and the Internet domain name system from the U.S. government to the multistakeholder community.
Consistently recognized for her work on a number of significant transactions, Sharon was recognized in the 2012–2016 editions of Chambers USA in Capital Markets and Corporate/M&A. The Recorder has consistently recognized her as one of its Women Leaders in Technology Law, most recently in 2016. She has also been recognized in the 2011 through 2017 editions of The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Corporate Law, as well as M&A Law. In 2012, Sharon was named The Best Lawyers’ 2013 San Francisco Corporate Law “Lawyer of the Year.” She was also recommended in Healthcare: Life Sciences, Capital Markets and M&A in the 2013–2016 editions of The Legal 500 US. In addition, The American Lawyer named her as one of “45 Under 45” – “the best of the best among young women lawyers in the Am Law 200.” Sharon was named to the Daily Journal’s list of the Top 25 Women Corporate and Transactional Lawyers in California. In 2011, she was also named by Law360 as a Rising Star, earning her a spot as one of their 10 corporate finance rising legal stars under 40. In 2013, The Recorder has recognized her as one of its Women Leaders in Technology Law.
- PayPal in its acquisition of Modest, a mobile commerce platform
- Roche Molecular Systems in its acquisition of genomics software company BINA Technologies Inc.
- PayPal in its acquisition of Israeli cybersecurity company CyActive
- PayPal in its acquisition of mobile payments company Card.io
- Genentech in its collaboration and option to acquire Forma Therapeutics, an oncology R&D company
- Hoffmann-La Roche in its collaboration and option to acquire Versant incubator, Inception 3, an early stage hearing loss development program
- Hoffmann-La Roche in its collaboration and option to acquire Versant incubator, Inception 5, an early stage multiple sclerosis development program
- eBay in its acquisition of customer acquisition company Iron Pearl
- Genentech in its collaboration and option to acquire epigenetic company, Constellation Pharmaceuticals
- CoreLogic, a leading residential property information, analytics and services provider, in its purchase of the flood zone determination and tax processing services assets and operating platforms from Bank of America
- eBay in its acquisition of shopping engine Milo
- Genentech in its purchase from Lonza of a cell culture biologic manufacturing facility in Singapore
- PayPal in its acquisition of Zong SA, a Swiss mobile payments company
- Aon Corporation in its sale of its auto insurance business AIS to Mercury Insurance
- KKR Financial Holdings in its conversion from a REIT into a master LLC structure
- Baxter International Inc. in the formation and spin-off of its worldwide cardiovascular business to Edwards Lifesciences
- Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Incorporated and Goldman, Sachs & Co. in the initial public offering for retailer Restoration Hardware
- GE Medical Systems in the sale of its global radiotherapy service business to Varian Medical Systems
- URS Corporation in its acquisition of EG&G Technical Services and Lear Siegler Services from The Carlyle Group
- DaVita Inc., a Fortune 500 healthcare company, in its acquisition financing for HealthCare Partners, including a $1.25 billion high-yield notes offering
- American Bar Association
- California Bar Association
- Former Vice-chairman of the Corporations Committee of the State Bar of California during which time she drafted legislation signed into law by Governor Schwarzenegger that reconciled a conflict between the SEC proxy rules and California law.