YABO LIN is a partner in Sidley’s Palo Alto office. He counsels clients in both the U.S. and Asia on mergers and acquisitions, venture investments, capital markets, IP transactions, joint ventures, and corporate governance. His experience covers a wide range of industries, including information technology, telecom, cleantech, biotech, and manufacturing. Yabo also counsels foreign-based clients on transactions involving U.S. national security issues in connection with the Committee on Foreign Investment in the U.S. (“CFIUS”).
Yabo’s recent significant experience includes representing:
- a major Silicon Valley-based tech company in acquiring an automotive lighting software company based in Germany;
- Eddingpharm, a pharmaceutical company based in Shanghai, in its $95 million purchase of biological compounds and other assets of ACT Biotech, a San Francisco-based biopharmaceutical company;
- Synopsys, Inc. in its $420 million stock acquisition of SpringSoft, Inc., a Taiwan Stock Exchange listed company, through tender offer;
- Flextronics International in acquiring Motorola Mobility’s global manufacturing operations;
- a major Chinese automobile maker in its efforts to acquire a hybrid plug-in electric vehicle company;
- a major Chinese tech company in participating in the acquisition of electronic image patents portfolio from Kodak for $525 million; and
- a major Chinese Internet company in connection with its breakthrough agreement with major music labels for the distribution of digital music in China.
Born and raised in China, Yabo was a licensed attorney in China before coming to the U.S.
In 2006, Yabo received the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association’s (NAPABA) highest honor, the Trailblazer Award, for “making substantial and lasting contributions to the Asian Pacific American Community.”
Yabo is also an adjunct law professor at Sun Yat-Sen University School of Law.
- Board member, Law Foundation of Silicon Valley
- Member, Advisory Committee of the Stanford Program in Law, Science and Technology
- Member, International Advisory Committee, Stanford University Rock Center for Corporate Governance
- Co-Chairman, ABA’s Asia Rule of Law Advisory Board
- Board member, The Edgar Snow Memorial Foundation