Some problems with the government cannot be solved cooperatively. The stakes may be too high for the company, the government’s position may be unreasonable or there may be a fundamental difference of opinion about the conduct at issue. In these cases, a company needs top-notch legal representation in the courtroom. Whether defending federal criminal charges or participating in other forms of formal adversarial proceedings, as well as defending related parallel civil proceedings, Sidley’s trial lawyers have the experience and skill necessary to present the most compelling case possible. In courtrooms across the country, Sidley’s trial lawyers, many of whom have extensive trial experience as both prosecutors and defense lawyers, have been recognized for their ability to win through mastery of the facts and the law. Having litigators fully integrated into the team managing government investigations and disputes at earlier stages in their development is a powerful asset when a company faces the ultimate contest: a fight to the finish in the courtroom.
Representative trials include:
- Recently obtained an acquittal for a former executive of Massachusetts pharmaceutical maker Serono SA following a two-and-a-half week trial in federal court on charges that the defendants bribed doctors to prescribe a drug used to treat AIDS patients.
- Represented Tyson Foods in the defense of a 36-count indictment charging conspiracy to violate federal immigration laws and seeking criminal forfeiture of over $100 million. Despite hundreds of hours of undercover recordings and prosecution testimony from dozens of present and former Tyson employees, the company was acquitted on all charges at the conclusion of the seven-week trial.
- Represented Tyson Fresh Meats (formerly IBP), the nation’s largest beef packing company, in a five-week jury trial of antitrust claims seeking more than $2 billion. The district court’s order of judgment as a matter of law was affirmed by Eleventh Circuit and certiorari was denied by the United States Supreme Court.
- Successfully represented a senior corporate official in a criminal jury trial involving the alleged unlawful disposal of hazardous waste. Despite the conviction of all co-defendants, our client was acquitted on all counts.
- Represented a Smithsonian scientist in a complex criminal jury trial involving allegations of tax fraud, smuggling, violations of wildlife protection laws and violation of customs regulations. After the most serious charges were dismissed by the Court, the jury acquitted on all charges, except the charge involving customs regulations for which our client was sentenced to probation.
- Won the complete acquittal of a Washington lobbyist accused of bribing a County Commissioner in Lee County, Florida after a multi-week jury trial.
- Represented a sitting judge in a case brought by the Florida Judicial Qualifications Commission (JQC) in which the JQC alleged that the judge, a West Point graduate, plagiarized a paper he submitted to the Air War College as part of his duties as an Air Force Reserve officer. Prevailed at trial.