Sidley’s Government Strategies group works at the crossroads of law and policy, helping clients develop and implement strategies which protect and further their business interests. Multiple institutions influence the development of federal law and policy – including the Legislative, Executive and Judicial branches of government as well as the private and non-profit sectors. The professionals in our Government Strategies practice work with our clients to assist them in understanding and managing these multiple influences in a successful manner.
Sidley represents an array of clients on matters relating to public policy, including regulatory, legislative and oversight/investigations matters involving the U.S. Congress, federal agencies and other institutions that shape law and policy.
Sidley’s Government Strategies team counsels clients whose most significant business problems often require legislative and public policy strategies as well as, or in lieu of, administrative and judicial proceedings. We believe that the most effective governmental advocacy is the product of three key elements:
- substantive knowledge of an issue,
- a thorough understanding of the legislative and other governmental processes and
- strong working relationships with key policymakers and non-governmental entities that influence policy decisions.
Our government strategies team works seamlessly with Sidley’s related practices to leverage the firm’s synergies and resources to further our clients’ interests in sectors ranging from the life sciences, to energy, the environment, communications, technology, financial services and international trade.
Led by former U.S. Congressman Rick Boucher, with strong assistance from partner Daron Watts, our team members are highly regarded within their substantive fields. Our practice includes lawyers and professionals who work with key legislators and executive branch officials who have a direct influence on policies of interest to our clients. A number of our team members have held senior positions in government and had major roles in the drafting, enactment and regulatory implementation of landmark laws. For any particular client need, Sidley utilizes a bipartisan team of lawyers and professionals that includes several of our former government officials:
- 14-term U.S. Congressman (who served for more than 25 years on the U.S. House of Representatives Committees on Energy & Commerce and the Judiciary);
- The Acting U.S. Attorney General;
- Two former Counselors to the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS);
- The General Counsel of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB);
- A former Senior Counsel to the House Financial Services Committee;
- A former long-time Health Policy Director for a senior Senate Finance and HELP Committee member;
- The Legislative Counsel and Parliamentarian to the House Energy & Commerce Committee;
- A Deputy Associate Administrator for Congressional Relations of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA);
- A Health Policy Advisor on the Senate’s HELP Committee;
- The Acting General Counsel for HHS;
- The General Counsel of the EPA;
- The Acting Chief Counsel of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA);
- The Acting Principal Deputy Chief Counsel of FDA’s Office of the Chief Counsel (OCC); The Assistant Commissioner at FDA; and
- Four Associate White House Counsels.
Whether a client’s need requires knowledge of technology, telecommunications, life sciences, energy, environment, financial services, or trade policy—or knowledge of the individuals who will mold a particular Congressional or agency action—Sidley possesses full service capabilities to assist.
Click here to view what services Sidley’s Government Strategies Group can provide to our Chinese clients.