DEBORAH A. MARSHALL is a partner with the firm and concentrates her practice on strategic business counseling for emerging growth companies and investors at all stages of development, from start-up entrepreneurs to publicly traded entities and technology-based, multinational corporations.
Ms. Marshall has advised issuers, investors and investment banking firms in the internet, software, electronics, clean technology, media, entertainment, biopharmaceutical, genomics, medical device and diagnostics sectors. She has significant experience in venture capital financing, mergers and acquisitions, public offerings, private equity and strategic partnerships.
Ms. Marshall is a frequent speaker on issues related to venture capital, emerging growth companies, life sciences, public securities and entrepreneurship. She has been a guest lecturer on entrepreneurship at the University of California Berkeley Haas School of Business, as well as a member of the faculty of the Haas Business School’s Global Bio-Executive Program.
Awards & Honors
- Ms. Marshall is featured as a Life Sciences Star in the inaugural edition of LMG Life Sciences 2012 for her outstanding finance and transactional work.
- Ms. Marshall has been recognized in The Best Lawyers in America in Corporate, M&A and Securities Law each year since 2007.
- Ms. Marshall’s work as a corporate lawyer is highlighted in the 2007 Corporate and Finance version of The Legal 500 United States edition.
- Women in the Law Conference, Northeastern University School of Law (April 2009)
- Columbia University Women’s History Month Speaker Series: Women in Law (March 2009)
- “Doing Well, Doing Good - An Introduction to Socially Responsible Investing” Merrill Lynch’s Women in the Know: Empowering Women Through Knowledge Series (April 2008)
- “Innovation and Growth Through Partnerships: Key Aspects of Collaboration Agreements,” GlobalBio Program, Haas School of Business (December 2006)
- “Duties of Directors in a Changing Landscape,” Practising Law Institute, Venture Capital 2004: Venture Creation, Management & Financing in the New “Post-Bubble” Market
- “M & A Transactions for Biotech Companies,” Practising Law Institute, Biotechnology & Pharmaceutical Law 2004: Patents & Business Strategies (November 2004)
- “Reconsidering the Limited Liability Company as a Vehicle for Emerging Growth Companies,” Practising Law Institute, 36th Annual Institute on Securities Regulation (November 2004)
- “Strategic Financing of Biotech,” University of California, Haas Business School, BioEntrepreneurship Certificate Program. Faculty member (May 2004)
- “Mergers-Acquisitions Case Study,” Practising Law Institute, Handling High Tech M&As In a Cooling Market (2001)
- “Latest Trends with Lockups and Other Underwriting Arrangements,” Practising Law Institute, 32nd Annual Institute on Securities Regulation (2000)