DAN CLIVNER is co-leader of the firm’s Private Equity practice, co-managing partner of the Los Angeles office and a member of the firm's Executive Committee. Dan handles high-profile transactional matters for clients in the media and entertainment, telecom, technology, financial services and retail industries. He has extensive experience advising both domestic and international private equity and corporate clients on a variety of matters related to M&A, corporate governance and securities law matters such as leveraged buyouts, joint ventures, public company acquisitions and restructurings. Dan also advises boards, management, special committees and investment banking firms on domestic and international corporate transactions.
Prior to joining Sidley, Dan served as managing partner of the Los Angeles office of an international law firm. In 1996, he relocated to Los Angeles from New York to advise The Seagram Company and NBC Universal (formerly Universal Studios) in connection with numerous television, theme park, motion picture and music acquisition, disposition and financing transactions, including the acquisition of Polygram N.V., the sale of USA Networks and PolyGram Filmed Entertainment and Seagram’s merger with Vivendi SA.
Dan was ranked by Chambers as a leading lawyer (Band 2) in Corporate/M&A: Private Equity in California and recognized as the 2016 Corporate Lawyer of the Year by the Century City Bar Association. Law360 also recognized him as a “2016 MVP” for Private Equity. He earned his J.D. from St. John’s University School of Law, where he was editor of the St. John’s Law Review. Dan received his B.B.A. in finance and economics, with honors, from Baruch College.
Recent matters include:
- Financial advisor to Synchronoss Technologies, Inc. in its $821 million acquisition of Intralinks Holdings, Inc.;
- Siris Capital Group, LLC in its $2 billion acquisition of Polycom, Inc., $654 million acquisition of Xura, Inc. (formerly Comverse) and $1 billion acquisition of Premiere Global Services, Inc. ("PGi");
- Lagunitas Brewing Company in connection with entering into a 50/50 partnership with Heineken N.V.;
- Cast & Crew Entertainment Services, Inc. in its $700 million sale to Silver Lake Partners;
- Health Net Inc. in its $6.8 billion acquisition by Centene Corp.;
- IPC Healthcare, Inc. in its $1.6 billion acquisition by Team Health, Inc.;
- Siris Capital in its acquisitions of Digital River, Inc., TNS, Inc. and Tekelec Inc. and subsequent sale of Tekelec to Oracle Corporation;
- Airvana Network Solutions, Inc., in its sale to Ericsson;
- JPMorgan in the restructuring of MGM Studios;
- Universal Studios Japan in acquiring theme park rights to "Wizarding World of Harry Potter" from affiliates of Warner Bros.;
- M*Modal Inc. in its sale to affiliates of One Equity Partners;
- Fast Retailing Co., including in its acquisition of J Brand Holdings, LLC;
- ZelnickMedia, including in its acquisitions of Cast & Crew, Inc., and Alloy, Inc., and Alloy, Inc., in its sale of Alloy Entertainment to Warner Bros. Television;
- Blackstone Capital Partners, including in its acquisitions of Performance Food Group Company and Pinnacle Foods Corporation;
- Pinnacle Foods in its acquisitions of Birds Eye Foods and Wish-Bone and proposed merger with Hillshire Brands;
- Airvana, Inc., and CBaySystems Holdings in recapitalization transactions; and
- Ripplewood Holdings, including in connection with its acquisition and sale of Japan Telecom.
*Includes matters handled prior to joining Sidley
- Past Chairman, Public Counsel
- Vice President, The Baruch College Fund of Baruch College, City University of New York
- Director, APLA Health 2006–2012
- Member, California Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York