COURTNEY A. ROSEN is a litigation partner in the Chicago office. Courtney has successfully represented corporations, directors and officers in all phases of fiduciary duty and securities litigation, including shareholder derivative lawsuits, complex corporate governance matters (including corporate control and hostile take over cases), and directors and officers' liability claims. Courtney also has extensive experience representing clients in a wide variety of complex commercial litigation, including matters involving mergers and acquisitions, breach of contract and fraud, and in advising both debtors and creditors in bankruptcy proceedings and related litigation. Many of her cases have also involved simultaneous Securities and Exchange Commission investigations. Finally, Courtney has experience in antitrust litigation, including price fixing cases, and with claims of patent infringement (focusing on patent damages).
Courtney is an experienced trial attorney, including, for example:
- a preliminary injunction on behalf of a venture capital firm to facilitate the making of a superior proposal for a public company;
- the damages phase of a patent infringement action involving a drug for treating gastric diseases;
- an action to recover fraudulently diverted funds for a financial management company client;
- a Section 262 appraisal action on behalf of a public company telecommunications client; and
- Chapter 11 bankruptcy plan confirmation matters.
Courtney is also actively involved in civic matters, and currently serves on the board of directors for Cabrini Green Legal Aid Clinic, which provides high-impact, legal aid to low-income Chicagoans in family, housing, criminal records, and criminal defense law. She also serves on the Women’s Board of the Joffrey Ballet, a world-class ballet company and dance education organization committed to artistic excellence and innovation. Courtney previously served on the Lyric Opera of Chicago Guild Board of Directors, and in various executive positions on that board, including chairman of the Lyric’s 2013 Fantasy of the Opera gala.