J. ANDREW SCHLICKMAN’s practice involves complex environmental enforcement and litigation matters, with an emphasis on contaminated river and sediment cases, natural resource damages cases, disputes between buyers and sellers of contaminated properties, diminution in property value cases, and defense of governmental enforcement actions.
Mr. Schlickman has tried complex environmental cases, handled appeals of such cases, negotiated a wide variety of consent decrees and settlements, and participated in hearings on the fairness of settlements. He has worked with a wide range of expert witnesses in the fields of remediation management and technologies, human health and ecological risk assessment, environmental fate and transport, hydrodynamic modeling, economic analysis, and civil engineering. He also has extensive experience with alternative dispute resolution proceedings in a variety of environmental matters.
For his first eight years at the firm, Mr. Schlickman was a member of the Firm’s General Litigation group. His practice encompassed a wide-variety of civil and commercial litigation, including contract, antitrust, trademark, product liability and employment discrimination cases; injunction, emergency and multi-district proceedings; class action and multi-party cases; and other large, complex litigation matters.
Mr. Schlickman has been recognized as a leading environmental lawyer by Best Lawyers in America, Chambers USA, Euromoney Publications and Who’s Who Legal, and has twice been recognized as a “Client Service All-Star” by BTI Consulting.
- Contaminated river sediment and natural resource damages matters, including the Fox River/Green Bay in Wisconsin, Penobscot River/Bay in Maine, Fields Brook/Ashtabula River in Ohio, and North Platte River in Wyoming.
- Numerous cases arising from the sale of contaminated properties, including cases in the U.S. District Courts of Illinois, Maine, Wisconsin, Washington, and New York, and in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit (Harley Davidson v. AMF & Minstar ).
- Diminution in property value cases, including cases in U.S. District Courts of Illinois, Missouri and Wyoming.
- Superfund remedial/removal and RCRA corrective action enforcement litigation, including cost-recovery and related third-party litigation.
- Defense of government penalty and enforcement actions under Clean Air Act, Underground Storage Tank programs, and other environmental laws, including major CAA enforcement action by State of Ohio involving VOC emissions and UST action in Illinois involving over 400 gasoline stations.