SCOTT R. LASSAR is a partner in the Chicago office. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Lassar was the United States Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois in Chicago. As the district’s top federal law enforcement official, Mr. Lassar managed 130 assistant U.S. attorneys, who handled civil litigation and criminal investigations and prosecutions involving white collar fraud, public corruption, narcotics trafficking and violent crime. While serving as United States Attorney, Mr. Lassar personally tried several cases, including the ADM price fixing case, for which Mr. Lassar received the Department of Justice’s Distinguished Service award.
Mr. Lassar’s practice involves all aspects of white collar criminal defense, including the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, securities fraud, insider trading, price fixing, environmental crimes, tax fraud, and healthcare fraud. Mr. Lassar also has conducted over 40 investigations for public and private companies.
Mr. Lassar has tried over 40 cases in federal court as a prosecutor and in private practice, including trials involving health care fraud, securities fraud, securities and commodity trading, accountant’s liability, trade secrets, and federal criminal violations.
Mr. Lassar serves on the American Bar Association/Department of Justice Dialogue Group, which meets regularly with the Attorney General on white collar crime issues.
Mr. Lassar also serves as an arbitrator with the American Arbitration Association.
Mr. Lassar is recognized as a leading lawyer in Chicago for litigation in white-collar & government investigations by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2012-2013). Additionally, Mr. Lassar is recognized in The Best Lawyers in America 2013-2014 in Bet the Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, White Collar Criminal Defense and Securities Litigation. Mr. Lassar is also recognized as a Litigation Star in the United States in the 2014 edition of Benchmark Litigation.
Representative White Collar Representations
- Represents executives in DOJ/SEC FCPA investigation of major international retailer.
- Represents energy company executives in investigation of Gulf of Mexico oil spill.
- Represents Japanese executives and a Japanese company in automotive supply price-fixing investigation.
- Represented CEO in trial for investor fraud in aircraft leasing industry.
- Represented former CEO and Chairman of Kmart in several law suits and investigations, including trial against SEC.
- Represents hedge fund in DOJ investigation of financial collapse.
- Represented director of public company and four other executives in five insider trading investigations.
- Represents hospital under investigation for false billing to the government.
- Represented attorney indicted for extortion in regard to Governor Blagojevich investigation.
- Represents public healthcare company in kickback investigation.
- Represented national healthcare company in criminal investigation regarding deaths caused by medical devices.
- Represented aluminum recycler in Clean Air Act criminal investigation.
- Represented national securities firm in criminal investigation of allegation of conspiracy to defraud customers of clearing broker.
- Represented national insurance broker in criminal and SEC investigations of finite insurance.
- Represented multi-national pharmaceutical company in criminal investigation of off-label marketing.
- Represented Korean company regarding indictments of employees for theft of trade secrets in U.S.
- Represented attorney in investigation of mortgage fraud.
- Represented former CEO in investigation of accounting fraud by Fort Worth office of SEC.
- Represented auditor in criminal and SEC investigations of accounting fraud and embezzlement in newspaper industry.
- Represented subject of criminal investigation into violation of export laws regarding India’s nuclear program.
Representative Investigations and Due Diligence
- FCPA investigations in India and the Middle East for Fortune 500 multi-national corporation.
- Performing FCPA due diligence in acquisition of global pharmaceutical company.
- Investigation of accounting issues surrounding restatement at Navistar.
- Advised Fortune 100 multi-national on FCPA issues in Russia, India, Indonesia, and the Philippines.
- Investigation of price discrimination regarding off-shore pipeline.
- Nicor – Allegation of fraud against rate payers at gas utility.
- Allegations of tax fraud at Fortune 500 manufacturer.
- Allegations that health care company defrauded clients by misrepresenting results achieved.
- Allegations of fraud by CEO of oil drilling supply business.
- Allegation of accounting fraud in reporting income by national home security company.
- Allegation of bribery of Chief Operating Officer by vendors of national construction company.