SUSAN T. BART is a partner in Sidley’s Chicago office, where she practices in the Private Clients, Trusts & Estates group. She is a Fellow, Regent and former Illinois State Chair of the American College of Trust & Estate Counsel.
Ms. Bart’s practice includes estate and gift tax planning, trust and estate administration, charitable planning and fiduciary counsel. Ms. Bart has written and spoken extensively on trust and estate topics. She has written two books, numerous articles and writes a quarterly column for MorningstarAdvisor. She has lectured to numerous professional groups, including the Heckerling Institute on Estate Planning (University of Miami), the American College of Trust & Estate Counsel, the Notre Dame Trust & Estate Planning Institute, ALI-ABA, the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA) and the American Bankers Association.
In addition to her J.D., Ms. Bart has a Basic Program Certificate from The University of Chicago (1991) for a four-year great Western books program.
Ms. Bart’s clients include wealthy individuals and families, family business owners, corporate executives, banks and trust companies, trustees and executors and private foundations.
- “Trusts & Trustees Act Modernized: Decanting and Directed Trusts,” (Illinois Bar Journal - November 2012)
- Education Planning and Gifts to Minors (Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, revised 2009)
- Co-author, Illinois Estate Planning: Forms and Commentary (IICLE 2nd Edition 2005), the first edition of which received an “Award of Outstanding Achievement” by the Association of Continuing Legal Education, July 1998
- Column on Section 529 accounts for MorningstarAdvisor.com
- “Avoiding Section 529 Plan Pitfalls,” Private Wealth (November 2010)
- “Virtual Representation in Trust and Estate Dispute Resolution: Opportunities and Risks,” with Lyman W. Welch, et al., ALI-ABA Estate Planning Course Materials Journal (October 2010)
- “Ethical Wills: Preserving a Legacy,” with Daniel R. Thies, ABA Trust & Investments (publication of the American Bankers Association – May/June 2010)
- “State Statutes on Virtual Representation – A New State Survey,” with Lyman W. Welch, ACTEC Journal (Spring 2010)
- “New Law Promotes Private Trust-Administration Agreements,” with Lyman W. Welch, Illinois Bar Journal, Vol. 97, #11 (November 2009)
- “The Best of Both Worlds: Using a Trust to Make Your 529 Savings Accounts Rock,” ACTEC Journal (Winter 2008)
- “Human Issues in Estate Planning for the Family Business Owner” (with Lauren Wolven), ALI-ABA Estate Planning Course Materials Journal (Vol. 14, No. 4, August 2008)
- “Ten Tax Smart Tips for College Savings Planning,” Morningstar Advisor magazine (Summer 2008)
- “Code Section 529 College Savings Accounts: More Than a Decade Without Final Rules,” LexisNexis Matthew Bender paper, 2008 Heckerling Institute on Estate Planning
- “529 Savings Plans Are Threatened,” Trusts & Estates magazine (February 2008)
- “New Push-Pull into 529 Plans,” Trusts & Estates magazine (August 2006)
- “Marital Deduction Planning After Decoupling,” ABA Trust & Investments (publication of the American Bankers Association May/June – 2005)
- “This Is Me Leaving You – Illinois ‘Breaks Up’ with the Fed,” Illinois Bar Journal (January 2004)
- Recipient of the 2013 Austin Fleming Award from the Chicago Estate Planning Council (presented annually to a person highly regarded by practicing estate planners for his or her expertise in the field and who has made a significant contribution to the improvement of estate planning practices)
- Recognized as “Best in Wealth Management” at the Euromoney Legal Media Group’s Second Annual Americas Women in Business Law Awards, June 2013, New York City
- Recipient of the 2012 Addis Hull Award from the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (awarded annually for contributions to IICLE’s mission and efforts to provide superior legal education to the legal community and others)
- Named Best Lawyers’ 2011 Chicago Trusts and Estates Lawyer of the Year
- Recognized by Chambers USA – America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2010-2014)
- Chicago Partner Susan T. Bart Named One of Worth magazine’s “Top 100 Attorneys” (December 2008/January 2009 issue; second consecutive year)
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America (2006-2014) in the area of Trusts and Estates; and in 2014 also recognized in the area of “Closely Held Companies and Family Business Law”