Don’t miss this opportunity to meet with top government, WTO and Energy Charter officials and leading private sector energy and climate change focused lawyers to learn about the latest issues on international trade in energy products and services, and how the WTO regulates such activities.
Sidley partner Scott Andersen is co-chairing the conference and moderating a session on “Disciplining Government Involvement in the Energy Sector.” Sidley partner Andrew Shoyer is moderating a session on “The Rules of Energy Trade” and is speaking on “Adapting Trade Rules to Accommodate Climate Change Goals.”
- An overview of the international legal regimes applicable to trade in energy products and services, with a particular focus on the WTO and the Energy Charter Treaty
- The use of regional trade agreements to secure energy supplier
- How, why, and to what extent international trade rules will need to be adapted in order to achieve global climate change goals
- Disciplining government involvement in the energy sector through the use of international trade rules, with a particular focus on subsidies in the biofuels sector
- Whether and how current international trade rules can limit cartel arrangements in energy trade
- An analysis of existing mechanisms for the settlement of international disputes in the energy sector, and suggestions for improvement
This highly relevant and topical substantive programme is backed by a top class roster of international speakers spanning academia, senior WTO officials, lawyers in private practice and regulators, and features keynote speaker Pascal Lamy, Director General of the WTO.
The social programme includes a cruise on Lake Geneva where you will have the opportunity to enjoy local fondue and where you will have plenty of time for networking. Admire the ports, the hillsides with their vineyards and the snow-covered peaks of the Swiss Alps.