The Deal recognized two deals on which Sidley advised at The Deal Awards 2020, which annually celebrate the leading lawyers, bankers, service providers, and investors shaping the global M&A landscape.
Drunk Elephant’s US$845 million acquisition by Shiseido Americas Corporation was recognized as “Consumer Deal of the Year.” The Sidley team representing Drunk Elephant, a solutions-oriented, cross-generational brand for all skin types, was co-led by partners Mark Metts and David M. Grinberg, with significant input from associates Katy L. Lukaszewski and Mark K. Castiglia. The team also included partner Zackary Pullin.
Clearlake Capital Group, L.P.’s acquisition of DigiCert won “Private Equity Deal of the Year.” Sidley represented Clearlake Capital Group, L.P. in its acquisition of DigiCert, a Utah-based current portfolio company of Thoma Bravo, in a joint control partnership with TA Associates. DigiCert is a premier high-assurance digital certificate provider. The deal team was led by partner Mehdi Khodadad and included partners Dr. Christian Brause, Ken Daly, Eric Kauffman, and James W. Lowe, and counsels Stacy Crosnicker and Kristin Shaffer.
Sidley was also shortlisted by The Deal in the following categories:
- Activist Defense Law Firm of the Year
- Energy & Industrials Law Firm of the Year
- Energy & Industrials Deal of the Year — Stonepeak Infrastructure acquires Oryx Midstream
- Energy & Industrials Deal of the Year —Volkswagen acquires stake in Argo
- Most Innovative Deal of the Year — Volkswagen acquires stake in Argo