CRAIG CHAPMAN, co-leader of the firm’s global Capital Markets practice, joined Sidley in 1983 and has been a partner since 1992. He was a resident partner in the firm’s Tokyo office from 1992 to 1995 and in its London office from 2006 to 2009. Craig focuses his practice on debt and equity securities offerings and placements and general corporate matters. He is actively involved in the development and execution of U.S., cross-border and complex financial products.
Representative securities offerings and other matters on which Craig advises clients include:
- U.S., European and global IPOs and other securities offerings and placements by Australian, Asian, Canadian, European, New Zealand and U.S. issuers
- Investment grade, high yield, convertible, exchangeable, secured and other debt securities offerings
- Common, preferred, structured capital, convertible, exchangeable and other equity securities offerings
- Balance sheet management transactions, acquisition and project financing transactions, equity recapitalizations, capital and covenant restructurings, repatriations and exchange offers and other liability management transactions
- General corporate matters
Craig’s recent experience includes:
- Agents’ or underwriters’ counsel for funding programs and securities offerings by three Australian banks (Australia and New Zealand Banking Group, Commonwealth Bank of Australia and Westpac), three New Zealand banks (ANZ New Zealand, ASB Bank and Westpac New Zealand) and an Australian insurance company (QBE Insurance)
- Underwriters’ or agents’ counsel on securities offerings, exchange offers and other liability management transactions by U.S. issuers from various industries including Norfolk Southern
- Issuers’ counsel on securities offerings, exchange offers and other liability management transactions involving issuers from various industries, including Darling Ingredients
- Outside counsel to the Office of Finance of the Federal Home Loan Banks and to Bondi Partners LLC
Craig’s leadership in assisting clients has earned him acknowledgment in numerous industry publications. The Legal 500 recommended Craig in the areas of “Capital Markets: Debt Offerings” and “Capital Markets: Equity Offerings,” in which Sidley has been recognized as a first-tier firm. In its 2013 edition, sources described Craig as “‘attentive, thorough and practical.’” IFLR1000 has recommended Craig as a leading lawyer and highlighted his work in acting for underwriters on U.S. debt offerings. Craig has also been recognized in the 2016 edition of Who’s Who Legal: Capital Markets.