JIM CONLAN has been a partner in Sidley’s firmwide Restructuring Practice since 1995, and his roles in the practice have included Vice Chairman, Co-Chairman, Chairman and Global Practice Leader. Jim focuses his time and energy principally on the very largest scale challenges and opportunities that face the largest and most prestigious national and global companies. Jim brings to the table and the court room over 30 years of experience leading some of the world’s largest and most complex restructurings and is considered one of a handful of truly dominant, globally known and universally respected restructuring lawyers.
Throughout his career, the quality and sophistication of Jim’s work has garnered acclaim from numerous industry publications. Chambers USA has recognized Jim repeatedly for his work in restructuring law (2010–2019), noting that clients say: "If we ever need to go to the board of directors with a tough issue I would put him forward first. He is tremendous. He can present to the board in a credible and articulate way, and win the day for us." Jim has been named a “Best Lawyer” for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, as well as Litigation – Bankruptcy, by The Best Lawyers in America (2016–2020). In addition, Jim was named one of the “Best of the Best” lawyers in Corporate Reorganization and Bankruptcy by Expert Guides (2018), and has been recognized as an “Outstanding Restructuring Lawyer” for 2016 by Turnaround & Workouts.
Lectures and Articles:
- Lecturer, “Legacy Costs: Pension and Health-care Liabilities,” Milken Institute Global Conference 2005; Lecturer, “Cross Border Insolvency,” Insol (Cork, Ireland) 2003.
- Lecturer, “Bordering on Bankruptcy, Dealing with Troubled Companies in the New Economy,” Fall 2001.
- Lecturer, “What You Need to Know About Internet, eCommerce and Chapter 11, Investment Opportunities In The Distressed Market,” Spring 2000.
- Co-Author, “CLE, Abandonment — An Issue of Priority,” February, 1991.
- Co-Author, “U.S. Implications for U.K. Solvent Schemes of Arrangement, And More,” The Insurance Receiver, 1998.
- Co-Author, “Environmental Law Developments,” The Secured Lender, 1996 – 1999.
- Co-Author, “Representing the Secured Creditor,” IICLE Bankruptcy Practice, 1990 (Supp. 1992).
Admissions & Certifications
- U.S. District Court, N.D. of Illinois - General
- University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., 1988 (with honors)
- University of Iowa, B.S., 1985 (with honors)