BRET T. DISKIN’s principal areas of practice include mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and corporate governance matters. Bret recently completed a year and a half assignment working in Sidley’s London office, focusing on cross-border merger and acquisition transactions.
Bret regularly represents corporate clients and private equity sponsors on complex public and private transactions, including leveraged acquisitions, mergers and divestitures in a wide variety of industries, including:
- The Western Union Company in connection with the pending sale of Speedpay, its U.S. bill pay business, to ACI Worldwide, Inc. for $750 million.
- Publicly traded Sigma-Aldrich Corporation in its US$17 billion sale to Merck KGaA.
- Publicly traded Con-way Inc. in its US$3 billion sale to XPO Logistics, Inc.
- GSO Capital Partners in connection with its US$2.4 billion acquisition of publicly traded NewStar Financial Inc.’s loan portfolio and the related acquisition by First Eagle Investment Management of NewStar.
- Walgreen Co. in a number of transactions, including its acquisition of the USA Drug pharmacy chain for US$438 million, acquisition of the publicly traded drugstore.com, inc. for US$409 million, the sale of Walgreens pharmacy benefits management business for US$525 million, the worksite health company partnership between Walgreens and Water Street Healthcare Partners and the infusion services company partnership between Walgreens and Madison Dearborn Partners.
- Multiple transactions for RoundTable Healthcare Partners and their portfolio companies, including the acquisitions of Beaver-Visitec International, add-on acquisitions for Argon Medical Devices, Renaissance Acquisition Holdings and Aspen Surgical Products and the sale of Argon Medical Devices, Aspen Surgical Products and Avalign Technologies.
- Multiple transactions for KapStone Paper and Packaging Corporation, including the acquisitions of U.S. Corrugated for US$330 million, Longview Fibre for US$1.025 billion and Victory Packaging for US$615 million.
- Multiple transactions for the Hillshire Brands Company, including the sale of its U.S. Fresh Bakery business and the sale of its Spanish and Portuguese Fresh Bakery business.
- Multiple acquisitions of private label and co-brand credit card portfolios.
- Multiple cross-border transactions, recently including:
- eBay Inc. in its acquisitions of Ticketbis and Expertmaker;
- Northern Trust in its acquisition of UBS’s fund administration servicing business in Luxembourg and Switzerland; and
- A listed company based in Hong Kong in its acquisition of a commercial property in west London.
Bret also has experience representing issuers and underwriters in public and private debt and equity offerings. He has also represented investors in various venture capital transactions. In addition to his transactional work, Bret also regularly advises public company clients on a broad range of corporate and securities law matters.
Bret received his J.D. cum laude from the University of Michigan Law School in 2009 and his B.A. summa cum laude from the University of Notre Dame in 2006. While in law school, Bret received the Edward H. Rakow Scholarship for outstanding scholarly achievement in securities, corporation or business law.
Admissions & Certifications
- The University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 2009 (cum laude)
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., 2006 (summa cum laude)