WILLIAM S. ECKLAND, a senior member of Sidley’s Banking and Financial Services group, which received the 2019 Chambers USA Award for Financial Services Regulation and is recognized by U.S. News as one of the nation’s and Washington, D.C.’s top-tier practices, has a broad practice spanning virtually all areas of compliance with laws affecting financial institutions, their holding companies and affiliates. Domestic and international clients turn to Bill for assistance in navigating the regulatory environment and its frequently changing requirements, including the Dodd-Frank Act and the Volcker Rule.
Bill is actively engaged in:
- the development of new products and services for financial services entities, including fintech companies;
- representing diversified or nontraditional financial services holding companies;
- counseling foreign banking entities regarding their U.S. operations; and
- advising on the regulatory aspects associated with mergers, acquisitions and restructuring activities of financial institutions, including assisted transactions involving the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC).
Bill has formed numerous banks, federal savings banks and limited purpose banks, including credit card banks, industrial loan banks and trust companies, throughout the United States. He also has represented private equity, pension and hedge funds in connection with investments in financial institutions. Another facet of Bill’s practice relates to counseling financial institutions and officers and directors with respect to enforcement and supervisory actions involving federal and state banking agencies.
A recognized leader in his field, Bill regularly is named by Chambers USA as one of the nation’s Leading Lawyers. Recent editions of Chambers USA recognize his work for “high-profile clients” and his “sophisticated analysis” and “excellent … understanding [of] how the banking regulators view the market.” The Legal 500 US commends “Excellent team head William Eckland” for his recent transactional work. Bill also has been recognized each year since 2009 in The Best Lawyers in America for his work in Banking & Finance Law.
Admissions & Certifications
- District of Columbia
- New York
- The George Washington University Law School, J.D., 1979 (with honors, Order of the Coif)
- University of Maryland, B.A., 1976