KATIE GARVEY’s practice focuses on helping companies navigate a range of litigation, enforcement and compliance matters. Katie helps individuals and business entities navigate cybersecurity challenges, white collar criminal matters, government investigations and complex civil litigation of all types.
Katie has particular experience in representing life sciences companies in connection with regulatory compliance, internal investigations and government enforcement actions. Her litigation experience spans both federal and state courts, and includes presenting and cross-examining witnesses at trial; taking and defending depositions; working with expert witnesses; responding to regulator subpoenas and civil investigative demands; drafting complaints and counterclaims; negotiating and litigating discovery disputes; drafting dispositive motions, complaints and written discovery; and managing large-scale electronic document reviews and productions.
Katie’s representative engagements have included:
- Defending a credit card processing company in litigation arising from a merchant’s data security breach.
- Representing an individual board member in litigation alleging breach of fiduciary duty and self-dealing.
- Assisting an accounting firm in responding to a subpoena from the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Defending professional services firm in litigation involving allegations of mismanagement of employee benefit pension plan assets.
- Representing healthcare companies in putative class action litigation, as well as state attorneys general and Office of Civil Rights investigations regarding privacy, HIPAA and cybersecurity issues.
- Assisting medical device companies in internal investigations involving alleged off-label promotion and kickbacks.
- Counseling several pharmaceutical and medical device companies in preparing for FDA inspections or responding to FDA Form 483s and Warning Letters.
- Assisting drug manufacturer in with integrity and GMP internal investigations.
- Performing gap assessments and counseling medical device company on designing, implementing and reviewing compliance action plans.
Graduating cum laude from Northwestern University School of Law, Katie was a membership editor of the Northwestern University Law Review and worked in the Bluhm Legal Clinic’s Center on Wrongful Convictions of Youth. She was a member of the Dean’s list and also received Public Services Honors at graduation. During law school, Katie served as a judicial intern for the Honorable Lawrence M. McKenna on the United States District Court in the Southern District of New York. She also served as a team leader for the Iceland and Greenland International Team Project, researching natural resource and energy use in the arctic. Prior to joining Sidley, Katie was an associate at a global law firm representing clients in commercial litigation and disputes and white collar matters.
Admissions & Certifications
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, N.D. of Illinois - General
- District of Columbia
- Northwestern School of Law, J.D., 2013 (cum laude, Dean's List, Membership Editor, Northwestern University Law Review, Public Service Honors)
- Boston University, B.A., 2003 (magna cum laude, Dean's List, University Scholarship, Founder's Grant)