WILLIAM J. HOCHUL III represents financial institutions in connection with investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), the Department of Justice (DOJ) and state regulatory agencies. Will is a member of Sidley’s global Securities Enforcement and Regulatory practice, which received the 2019 Chambers USA Award for Financial Services Regulation, and was named the “Law Firm of the Year” for Securities Regulation in 2020 and 2017 by U.S. News – Best Lawyers.
Will’s recent experience includes:
- Representing investment advisers in connection with SEC investigations related to algorithmic trading, municipal bond trading, conflicts of interest and fee arrangements;
- Representing independent broker dealers in investigations related to retail and senior investors;
- Representing multiple participants in the SEC’s Share Class Selection Disclosure Initiative; and
- Second-chairing two successful trials before the administrative tribunal of an international financial institution.
Will has also represented clients in complex commercial and white-collar litigation, including cases related to the False Claims Act (FCA), Anti-Kickback Statute (AKS) and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA).
Prior to joining Sidley, Will clerked for Judge Federico A. Moreno on the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida. Will was also a summer law clerk in the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia.
Admissions & Certifications
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Notre Dame Law School, J.D., 2013 (magna cum laude)
- State University of New York - Geneseo, B.A., 2009 (cum laude)
- Federico A. Moreno, U.S. District Court, S.D. of Florida (2014 - 2015)