David Kreisler is a nationally recognized private funds lawyer and head of Sidley’s global Private Equity Fund Formation practice.
David represents private fund sponsors in all aspects of their business, in the U.S. and abroad, including fund formation and operations, internal structuring and compliance. He counsels both large well-known sponsors and emerging managers focused on buyout, energy, growth equity, private credit, infrastructure, real estate and secondary funds sectors. David also regularly provides strategic counsel to fund managers and institutional investors throughout the life cycle of a private fund and has advised clients on a broad range of secondary fund transactions, including fund restructurings, continuation funds and other GP-led transactions.
David is a sought-after speaker and writer on a variety of timely topics relating to developments impacting the private fund industry. Most recently, David co-authored the Chambers Global Practice Guide on U.S. investment funds, and moderated the private equity panel at Sidley’s annual Private Funds Conference, where he addressed the burdens and benefits of co-investments.
Chambers Global and Chambers USA recognize David as a leading lawyer in Private Equity and Investment Fund Formation, where clients note that David “is practical and very knowledgeable,” and “one of the top fund lawyers.” He is also recognized in The Best of the Best USA, The Legal 500, IFLR 1000, Euromoney Expert Guide, International Financial Law Review, Who’s Who Legal and The Best Lawyers in America.
David's clients include Quantum Energy Partners, Shoreview Industries, Ellington Capital, Orion Resource Partners, The Gores Group, Sequoia Capital Heritage Fund, Z Capital, Warwick Energy Group, and Jasper Ridge Partners, among others.
David’s representative matters include:
- Worked with ShoreView Industries to raise ShoreView Capital Partners IV, LP, a private equity fund with US$425 million in commitments, which will focus on investments in acquisition, recapitalization and build-up transactions with family or entrepreneurial-owned companies across many sectors.
- Represented Ellington Management Group, LLC in the formation of a US-focused real estate credit fund and a new US-focused real estate securities and debt fund.
- Worked with Quantum Energy to raise Quantum Energy Partners VII, LP, a fund and a companion co-investment fund complex with US$5.5 billion in commitments which will continue Quantum’s focus on investments in the exploration and production of oil and gas assets. David has worked with Quantum for over 15 years.
- Worked with Aquiline Capital to raise approximately US$500 million in commitments from co-investors to fund the acquisition of Armour Group Limited, a Bermuda-based insurance company.
- Worked with Kimmeridge Energy to raise Kimmeridge Mineral Fund LP, a US$350 million vehicle focused on the mineral sector, including working through unique tax and structuring issues due to the nature of the mineral assets.
- Worked with Kimmeridge Energy to raise Kimmeridge Energy Exploration Fund V, LP, together with its companion fund for tax sensitive investors Kimmeridge Energy Net Profits Exploration Fund V, LP, an oil and gas exploration and production fund with US$800 million in commitments. David also assisted Kimmeridge Energy with Fund IV.
- Assisted Warwick Energy Investment Group to raise Warwick Partners III, L.P., their first blind pool investment vehicle with US$560 million in limited partner commitments to invest in non-operated oil and gas assets.
- Worked with Echo Energy to raise approximately US$300 million in commitments from investors to invest in oil and gas assets.
- Assisted IFM Investors Limited in the sale of portfolio of interests in various private equity funds.
- Representative matters prior to joining Sidley include:
- Led the legal aspects of fundraising for Berkshire Fund IX, L.P., a US$4.5 billion buyout fund.
- Led the legal aspects of fundraising for Gores Capital Partners III, L.P., a US$2 billion buyout fund, and Gores Small Capitalization Partners, L.P., a US$300 million buyout fund focused on smaller portfolio companies.
- Led the legal aspects of fundraising for several funds for Tailwater Capital, including Tailwater Energy Fund II LP and Tailwater EP Opportunity Fund II LP, together with several co-investment vehicles.