DAVID KREISLER is a partner in the Investment Funds group and heads Sidley’s Private Equity Fund Formation practice. David focuses his practice on private equity matters where he regularly represents private equity sponsors and their investment funds in connection with their organization and administration, including the acquisition, disposition and financing of their portfolio companies. He advises sophisticated U.S. and non-U.S. private fund managers across all asset classes, including energy and infrastructure funds, credit funds, growth funds, distressed debt funds, venture capital funds, financial services, bespoke fund products and other global investment funds. Additionally, David represents institutional investors and has been involved in the acquisition and establishment of private equity firms and money managers. He also regularly advises clients on the formation of limited and general partnerships and limited liability companies. His clients include Quantum Energy Partners, The Gores Group, Sequoia Capital Heritage Fund and Warwick Energy Group, among others.
David has written and spoken on a variety of topics relating to private investment funds and has been widely recognized for his achievements in the field. He has been recognized as a leading lawyer in Private Equity and Investment Fund Formation by Chambers Global and Chambers USA, where clients note that David “is practical and very knowledgeable,” and is “one of the top fund lawyers.” He is also recognized in The Best of the Best USA, The Legal 500, IFLR 1000, Euromoney Expert Guide, International Financial Law Review, Who’s Who Legal and The Best Lawyers in America.
David’s representative matters include:
- Worked with Quantum Energy to raise Quantum Energy Partners VII, LP, a fund and a companion co-investment fund complex with US$5.5 billion in commitments which will continue Quantum’s focus on investments in the exploration and production of oil and gas assets. David has worked with Quantum for over 15 years.
- Worked with Aquiline Capital to raise approximately US$500 million in commitments from co-investors to fund the acquisition of Armour Group Limited, a Bermuda-based insurance company.
- Worked with Kimmeridge Energy to raise Kimmeridge Mineral Fund LP, a US$350 million vehicle focused on the mineral sector, including working through unique tax and structuring issues due to the nature of the mineral assets.
- Worked with Kimmeridge Energy to raise Kimmeridge Energy Exploration Fund V, LP, together with its companion fund for tax sensitive investors Kimmeridge Energy Net Profits Exploration Fund V, LP, an oil and gas exploration and production fund with US$800 million in commitments. David also assisted Kimmeridge Energy with Fund IV.
- Assisted Warwick Energy Investment Group to raise Warwick Partners III, L.P., their first blind pool investment vehicle with US$560 million in limited partner commitments to invest in non-operated oil and gas assets.
- Worked with Echo Energy to raise approximately US$300 million in commitments from investors to invest in oil and gas assets.
- Assisted IFM Investors Limited in the sale of portfolio of interests in various private equity funds.
- Representative matters prior to joining Sidley include:
- Led the legal aspects of fundraising for Berkshire Fund IX, L.P., a US$4.5 billion buyout fund.
- Led the legal aspects of fundraising for Gores Capital Partners III, L.P., a US$2 billion buyout fund, and Gores Small Capitalization Partners, L.P., a US$300 million buyout fund focused on smaller portfolio companies.
- Led the legal aspects of fundraising for several funds for Tailwater Capital, including Tailwater Energy Fund II LP and Tailwater E&P Opportunity Fund II LP, together with several coinvestment vehicles.
Admissions & Certifications
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., 1991 (Order of the Coif)
- Princeton University, A.B., 1988