COLLEEN LAUERMAN represents corporations and individuals in U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), U.S. Department of Treasury, and U.S. Department of Commerce investigations and enforcement proceedings. Colleen also has significant experience conducting internal investigations and compliance assessments in the United States, Europe, Asia, South America and Africa, and advising U.S. and non-U.S. corporations in international government enforcement matters, particularly matters arising under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). Colleen is recognized in the 2020-2023 editions of The Best Lawyers in America as a leading litigator in White Collar Criminal Defense.
Colleen also represents clients in matters involving, among other things, economic sanctions and export controls; money laundering; fraud; immigration; environmental regulation; trade secrets; healthcare; and insider trading. She counsels companies on the design, implementation, and maintenance of anti-corruption compliance programs and on other compliance issues.
Representative matters have included:
- Representation of Flex Ltd. (Nasdaq: FLEX) and its Fremont, California-based solar technology subsidiary, Nextracker Inc. (Nasdaq: NXT), in its upsized US$734.2 million initial public offering, making it the largest IPO of 2023.
- Representation of Fortune 100 company in government and internal investigations involving various issues including the FCPA and trade secrets.
- Representation of multinational company in connection with internal investigation, and before the SEC in an accounting-related investigation and settlement.
- Representation of Fortune 100 company before the DOJ and SEC in connection with investigation of potential FCPA issues in numerous jurisdictions.
- Representation of Fortune 100 company in Department of Commerce investigation of potential economic sanctions and export controls issues.
- Representation of multinational company before DOJ in connection with investigation of potential money laundering issues.
- Served as member of the legal team for the Corporate Compliance Monitor of HSBC Holdings plc, who was appointed by the U.S. Department of Justice, the U.K. Financial Conduct Authority and the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, in connection with HSBC’s US$1.9 billion resolution of money laundering and sanctions violations.
- Representation of multinational pharma company in investigation of potential economic sanctions issues in international supply chain.
- SEC v. Smith & Nephew plc/United States v. Smith & Nephew, Inc.—Defended medical device manufacturer in FCPA joint investigation by DOJ and SEC.
- Representation of various companies in FCPA compliance reviews of company operations in numerous foreign jurisdictions.
Colleen also has experience conducting global compliance risk assessments for clients and recommending program enhancements. She also evaluates anti-corruption and anti-money laundering provisions in a myriad of deal documents, and conducts related due diligence for mergers and acquisitions. Additionally, Colleen conducts training programs for clients on topics such as FCPA compliance, internal investigation best practices and lawyer-client privilege.