JOCK MACKINNON practices securities law with an emphasis on investment management clients. He has worked on matters involving numerous investment companies in the United States and internationally, and has extensive knowledge and experience with the registration and exemptive provisions of the Investment Company Act of 1940 and the Investment Advisers Act of 1940. Jock represents major investment banks in offerings by public and private funds, and advises investment advisers around the globe concerning U.S. securities laws. He also represents independent directors of U.S. investment companies. Representative funds/transactions include:
- The first public offering by a venture capital partnership;
- Organization of the first private equity fund registered under the Investment Company Act of 1940;
- One of the first convertible debt securities offerings by a registered closed-end fund;
- Several of the first multi-class Luxembourg investment companies organized as UCITS; and
- The first public offerings by registered investment companies focused on investments in specific emerging markets, including Russia and South Africa.
As part of his mutual fund representations, Jock has participated in the formation of a number of funds investing in alternative asset classes, as well as funds adopting alternative investment strategies. Jock has also participated in the formation of business development companies (BDCs). He represented some of the first BDCs to be formed after adoption of the legislation that created those vehicles. He has continued to represent BDCs and their underwriters for more than 20 years. Jock has also represented investment managers and program administrators in 529 college savings programs that have been adopted by multiple states.
Jock’s leadership on behalf of his clients has earned him acknowledgement in numerous industry publications. Jock was recognized as the 2015 New York City “Lawyer of the Year” in Mutual Funds Law in The Best Lawyers in America. In its 2020 edition, Chambers USA recognized Jock in the area of Investment Funds: Registered Funds, Nationwide. That publication has said he is “highly respected” and “lauded for his experience and diplomacy.” In 2019, one client noted that “he is highly knowledgeable, insightful and responsive. He offers sound advice, sets clear context and expertly interprets regulatory changes.” Similarly, The Legal 500 US acknowledged Jock every year since 2012 in the category of Mutual/registered funds, saying “John MacKinnon, who ‘communicates a deep knowledge and understanding of the industry and relevant legal and regulatory issues, is always on top of developments in the legal and regulatory environments, and is exceptionally wise.’” He has also been recognized by Chambers Global, PLC, IFLR1000 and The Best Lawyers in America®.
Admissions & Certifications
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- New York
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1974
- Williams College, B.A., 1971