ANDREW NELSON is an associate in the Investment Funds group in Chicago. His practice focuses on securities and futures-related corporate and regulatory matters, including the organization and operation of private alternative investment funds. He also advises and represents swap execution facilities, introducing brokers, futures commission merchants and derivatives clearing organizations in a variety of transactional, securities, derivatives, and futures regulatory matters. He regularly advises clients on the Investment Advisers Act, the Commodity Exchange Act, Regulation D and Dodd-Frank related compliance issues.
Representative matters include:
- Formation and private offerings of domestic and offshore hedge funds, private equity-style funds and commodity pools;
- Formation and operation of investment advisers, commodity pool operators, commodity trading advisers, introducing brokers and futures commission merchants;
- Formation and operation of swap execution facilities;
- Negotiation of managed account agreements and organization of single investor funds;
- Formation and operation of hedge fund platforms, managed futures platforms and managed account platforms; and
- Acquisition of investment advisers, introducing brokers and futures commission merchants.
Andrew is a member of Sidley’s Investment Funds practice team that consistently wins top awards in the private funds industry: two-time winner of Chambers and Partners’ “Investment Funds Team of the Year for the U.S.”; Institutional Investor’s Alpha magazine’s 2014 Alpha Awards top “onshore” (U.S.) law firm serving the hedge fund industry; four-time recipient of first-tier national rankings in the U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” rankings for Private Funds/Hedge Funds Law, and Derivatives and Futures Law; and ranked in the top band for Hedge Funds by Chambers USA every year since 2008.
Andrew received his B.A. from the College of the Holy Cross and his J.D. from the University of California, Berkeley School of Law. Prior to attending law school, he served as a helicopter pilot and operations officer in the United States Marine Corps and attained the rank of captain. As a Marine officer, he deployed to Iraq, Djibouti, Jordan, East Timor and Japan, among other places. Andrew is also an FAA certified commercial pilot.