FATEMA ORJELA is an award-winning private equity partner whose practice focuses on providing strategic counsel to European and U.S. private equity sponsors. Fatema has experience on the full range of corporate law matters, including private equity deals, leveraged buyouts, strategic mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, joint ventures, equity growth investments, equity and debt restructurings, and management equity plans, as well as related advisory work.
Recent examples of Fatema’s work include representing:
- Apollo Global Management, LLC (through certain investment funds affiliated therewith) on the acquisition of a majority stake in Catalina Holdings (Bermuda) Ltd. from, among others, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec and Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan.
- H.I.G. Europe on its disposal of the Zmarta Group, the leading fintech marketplace in Northern Europe, to Bauer Media Group.
- TowerBrook on the acquisition of Van Dijk Educatie, a leading distributor of learning materials to students in the Dutch secondary education market, from its Founder.
In 2017, Fatema was named as one of the world’s top 30 private equity lawyers under 40 in the prestigious Private Funds Management (pfm) “30 Under 40,” a list of the rising stars of the private funds legal world. pfm (a sister publication of Private Equity International) stated that Fatema is “admired for her sharp legal-technical ability, problem-solving prowess and understanding of interpersonal dynamics.” Fatema was also shortlisted for “Best in Private Equity” at the LMG Europe Women in Business Law Awards 2018. She has also recently been named as one of the top private equity dealmakers in London, alongside seven other prominent female private equity partners, by the December 2017 issue of The Lawyer.
Fatema is also distinguished by her work in promoting diversity in the legal profession. Fatema has been actively involved in initiatives across the City, including her roles as co-founder of “Women in Law, London” (WILL) a network with over 1,700 members across London aiming to promote and engage the next generation of women leaders in law, a Professional Development Committee member of the “City Women’s Network” (CWN) and advisory panel member of “Oxford Women in Law” (OWL).
Prior to joining Sidley in 2016, Fatema was a partner in the private equity practice of another international law firm.
Admissions & Certifications
- England and Wales (Solicitor)
- Brasenose College, Oxford University, J.D., 2005