JAMES OUSSEDIK has considerable experience in relation to the establishment and maintenance of investment funds, funds of one and managed accounts, co-investments, investor negotiations, and related legal and regulatory issues. James is group head of the Investment Funds practice in the London office, which undertakes a full range of private fund formation work, together with representations of certain major institutional allocators to private funds.
James advises a broad range of sponsors and investors, covering the establishment of all types of private funds, and advice to sovereign wealth funds, seed investors, pension funds, family offices and financial institutions, across a range of private and public market strategies. James’s sponsor practice is particularly strong in credit-related strategies of all types across the liquidity spectrum, including credit opportunities, corporate funding solutions, litigation funding, special opportunities and special situations/distressed. James also has particular experience of advising spin-out managers on the structuring of management arrangements and fund formation, as well as joint venture arrangements and co-investments for both sponsors and investors.
James’s recent experience includes advising:
- An established sponsor on the launch of a PE-style fund focused on providing private market funding solutions to SMEs in Europe.
- A leading credit manager on the formation of a PE-style fund focusing on investments in European structured credit.
- Several established and emerging sponsors on the launch of private funds focused on litigation funding opportunities in Europe.
- An established sponsor on the launch of a private equity fund focused on acquiring “fintech” businesses.
- A large spin-out manager on the formation of its inaugural fund focusing on multi-strategy credit investments.
- A major sovereign wealth fund on private fund investments, co-investments, funds of one and managed accounts.
- A European seed investor on numerous seed investment transactions.
- Several institutional market participants on multiple secondary acquisitions and sales of large portfolios of LP interests in private funds.
James has been recognized in Financial News’s 2015 40 Under 40 Rising Stars in Legal Services and has been named in The Institutional Investor’s 2015 Hedge Fund Rising Stars list. James has also been listed in LMG’s Rising Stars Expert Guide for Investment Funds in the UK 2015 and 2016. He has been recognized for Private Funds in Who’s Who Legal 2016 and 2017, with peers telling the publication “his practice continues to go from ‘strength to strength,’” and has been acknowledged as “Highly regarded” by IFLR1000 2019. James has been ranked for Investment Funds in Chambers UK 2020, with clients describing him as “very results-driven and efficient and has a very good understanding of both the LP and GP side when it comes to negotiating terms.” In the 2019 edition, clients noted that he is “very proactive, very commercial and very responsive” with a “strong grasp of the technicalities.”
James received his LL.B. from the London School of Economics and Political Science and is bilingual English/French.
Admissions & Certifications
- England and Wales (Solicitor)
- London School of Economics and Political Science, LL.B., 2002