JOÃO QUARTILHO counsels international clients on a wide range of data protection, privacy and cybersecurity matters, including on compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation and the ePrivacy Directive. In particular:
- Managing and developing GDPR compliance projects for global clients, including those in the financial services, life sciences, and media industries.
- Assisting clients with respect to cybersecurity preparedness and incident response.
- Assisting global companies with the implementation of global data sharing and transfer solutions and advising on the implications of the Schrems II CJEU case law.
- Counselling clients on the impact of ePrivacy requirements in relation to interpersonal communications.
- Advising on privacy and cybersecurity issues in the context of due diligence of corporate transactions (e.g. M&A).
Prior to joining Sidley in 2022, João was in the data protection, technologies and digital media practice of another law firm based in Lisbon where he advised on data protection, e-commerce, consumer protection, software and TMT matters, focused on consumer electronics and tech start-up industries.
João is currently enrolled in a LLM program in Law and Technology at the Tilburg University (Netherlands) with a focus on privacy and data protection matters in relation to disruptive and emerging technologies.
João was recognized with the IAPP Westin Scholar Award 2021-2022: a yearly award attributed to a small number of students “identified by their professors as future leaders in the field of privacy or data protection.”