ANUSHKA RAHMAN is an associate in Sidley’s Environmental practice group. Her practice focuses on environmental regulatory enforcement and compliance matters. She has experience representing clients in front of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and the California Air Resources Board (CARB).
Prior to joining Sidley, Anushka worked as an associate in the environmental and consumer product safety practice of an international law firm. She also served as a Law Clerk in the EPA’s Region 3 Office of Regional Counsel (ORC) and as a Legal Fellow in the EPA’s Office of Air and Radiation (OAR). Some of Anushka’s representative matters prior to joining Sidley include:
- Advising industry and trade association clients on regulations of hazardous air pollutants (HAPs) and emissions of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) under the federal Clean Air Act (CAA) and state and local air pollution statutes, as well as advising clients on ozone-depleting substances (ODS) restrictions under the Montreal Protocol.
- Providing clients guidance on the safe management and disposal of hazardous substances under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) and state analogues.
- Advising clients on compliance with the U.S. Energy Policy and Conservation Act (EPCA), EPA’s ENERGY STAR Program and California’s energy efficiency regulations.
- Drafting comments on behalf of clients in response to proposed rulemakings and information collection requests by federal and state agencies.
- Counseling clients on compliance with regulatory obligations in the EU and Canada related to energy efficiency claims, recycling, requirements for fertilizers and chemical restrictions.
- Ensuring that clients met obligations and were advised of updates to the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), green chemistry laws, chemical right-to-know laws and other state-level chemical restrictions.
- Assisting oil and gas clients with obligations under the U.S Department of Transportation (DOT) Hazardous Materials Regulations, as well as other regulations enforced by the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA).
- Advising clients in the energy industry on developments in cybersecurity, grid security and privacy.
- Ensuring that clients in the motor vehicle industry met U.S. requirements for the safety of vehicles and electric vehicle charging stations.
Admissions & Certifications
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Duke University School of Law, J.D., 2015
- Emory University, B.A., 2010