MARC RAVEN is senior counsel in the Chicago office. Marc’s antitrust practice focuses primarily on review and analysis of mergers, acquisitions, and joint ventures; premerger notification and investigations under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act; and guidance on due diligence and merger integration. He has assisted clients with merger investigations involving such diverse products and services as pharmaceuticals and medical devices, telecommunications services, petroleum products distribution, information services, commercial printing, personal care products, motion picture exhibition, and advance deposit wagering. Additionally, Marc counsels clients on such matters as restraints on distribution and interlocking directorates.
Legal 500 US has recommended Marc as an “excellent” lawyer with “very sound, technical knowledge of the antitrust area,” and IFLR 1000 has praised him as “very good at dealing with regulators.”
Marc also has participated in the successful litigation of unfair competition, contract, intellectual property, and business tort matters for clients in a variety of industries. He has extensive experience in managing complex and sensitive discovery in litigation as well as in merger investigations and advises clients on electronic discovery and document retention and preservation issues. Marc is a longstanding member of Sidley’s E-Discovery Task Force.
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Co-Presenter, “Corporate College 2013 – Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution” – Sidley Austin LLP, Chicago (October 2, 2013)
- Co-Presenter, “Illinois MCLE Mini Marathon 2012 – E-Discovery 2012: Technology-Assisted Review (TAR)” – Sidley Austin LLP, Chicago (May 30, 2012)
- Co-Presenter, “Illinois MCLE Mini Marathon 2011 – Ethics of Current E-Discovery Practice” – Sidley Austin LLP, Chicago (June 9, 2011)
- Co-Presenter, Monthly Antitrust Update, ABA Antitrust Section Corporate Counseling Committee (September 15, 2010)
- Co-Presenter, “Illinois MCLE Mini Marathon 2010 – E-Discovery Update 2010” – Sidley Austin LLP, Chicago (June 17, 2010)
- “Ain’t Misbehavin’: A Few Simple Rules for Effective M&A Antitrust Compliance” – International Bar Association (September 19, 2006)
- Co-author, U.S. Chapter of The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Merger Control, Global Legal Group, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Co-Author, “Antitrust Concerns From Partial Ownership Interest Acquisitions: New Developments in the European Union and United States,” CPI Antitrust Chronicle, January 2012
- Co-Author, “First Cases Under Federal Rule of Evidence 502 Reflect Variety of Approaches, Underscore Importance of ‘Clawback’ Orders,” Bloomberg Law Reports/ Litigation, May 4, 2009