JIM RICE focuses his practice principally on transactions for energy industry participants, including companies engaged in oil and gas exploration and production (E&P), midstream activities (gas and oil), petroleum refining, petrochemicals processing, oilfield services and electric power generation.
Jim’s recent representations include:
- Representation of a large independent E&P company in separate Eagle Ford, “Eaglebine” and Marcellus carry transactions
- Representation of a large independent E&P company in a significant Niobrara asset trade, and other A&D transactions
- Representation of vertically integrated investor-owned electric utilities in natural gas reserve acquisition projects
- Representation of a privately held Barnett Shale E&P company in the recapitalization of the company through the placement of preferred membership interests to institutional investors
- Representation of a privately held Delaware Basin operator in an asset sale/balance sheet restructuring transaction
- Representation of an international financial institution in the development of a non-recourse development capital loan program for E&P companies
- Representation of a commodities trading firm in the acquisition of a Rockies-area crude oil logistics business
Jim has significant experience in mergers, acquisitions and divestitures; private equity investments; bank financings; structured financings; and debt restructurings, with primary emphasis on the energy sector. He has represented public companies and special board committees in M&A transactions; major integrated oil companies in transactional matters; independent E&P companies, oilfield services providers, petroleum refiners and traders, petrochemical companies and independent power producers in M&A, A&D, joint venture and financing activities; private equity funds and investees in energy investments; management in LBO transactions; banks and other financial institutions in E&P and other financings, including first lien/second lien and leveraged lease transactions; and issuers of debt and equity in capital markets transactions, including private placements, IPOs, Rule 144A offerings and shelf take-downs.
Jim has been recognized every year since 2011 by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the area of oil and gas. He was also recognized in the 2013–2022 editions of The Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Corporate Law and Energy Law.
Jim may be reached on his mobile phone at +1 832 545 7162.