RYAN SANDROCK litigates antitrust, consumer class action and intellectual property cases for technology and other companies in the Northern District of California and across the country. He is a member of both the California and Illinois bars.
Ryan’s recent antitrust cases include:
- Pending price-fixing MDL in the Western District of Pennsylvania.
- 2018 FRAND case in the Northern District of New York in which Sidley’s client prevailed on a motion to dismiss.
- 2017 monopolization case in the Northern District of California decision in which Sidley’s client defeated class certification.
- 2016 monopolization case in the Northern District of California decision in which Sidley’s client prevailed on a motion to dismiss.
Ryan also provides antitrust counseling regarding communications with competitors, pricing issues (including Resale Price Maintenance, Robinson-Patman, and Minimum Advertised Price policies) and merger clearance.
Ryan also litigates intellectual property cases, where he works on FRAND, damages, breach of contract and trade secret issues. His recent representations include defending a semiconductor manufacturer against patent infringement and breach of contract claims in an action pending in the Northern District of California and a software company against patent infringement claims in actions pending in multiple jurisdictions.
He also defended DIRECTV against the Federal Trade Commission in a lawsuit alleging deceptive advertising conduct and alleged violations of the Restore Online Shoppers Confidence Act and seeking injunctive and monetary relief of US$4 billion. District court granted in part DIRECTV’s motion for judgment on partial findings after the FTC rested case-in-chief, and the FTC dismissed the case with prejudice. The matter was recognized as a significant victory by the Wall Street Journal, Law360, and the Daily Journal.
Ryan is a member of Sidley’s E-Discovery Task Force. He advises clients on retention, defensible deletion and privacy issues, and has litigated numerous discovery disputes against both private plaintiffs and government enforcers.
Ryan is an adjunct professor at Hastings College of the Law where he co-teaches Antitrust and Intellectual Property.
Ryan has been named a Super Lawyers Antitrust Rising Star for Northern California. Ryan serves on the Advisory Board of the San Francisco Law Academy, a program that encourages and increases career opportunities for students at Balboa High School in San Francisco. He also coordinates all pro bono efforts for the San Francisco office. The Justice and Diversity Center of the Bar Association of San Francisco recognized Ryan as an outstanding volunteer in 2017. The Bar Association of San Francisco also awarded Ryan a 2019 Award of Merit for his work with the Law Academy program.
Prior to attending law school, Ryan worked as a high school teacher and track coach in Louisiana. Ryan is an avid runner and fan of Ohio sports teams.
Admissions & Certifications
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, E.D. of California
- U.S. District Court, N.D. of California
- U.S. District Court, C.D. of California
- U.S. District Court, S.D. of California
- U.S. District Court, N.D. of Illinois - General
- U.S. District Court, N.D. of Illinois - Trial Bar
- The University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 2003
- Harvard University, A.B., 1997 (cum laude)