GERALDINE SCALI’s main areas of practice are data protection, privacy, e-commerce and information technology.
Geraldine has experience and advises international clients on data protection, privacy and information security including GDPR compliance, cross-border transfers including Binding Corporate Rules, data protection issues in the context of international litigations and investigations, cybersecurity, security breach responses.
Representative matters have included:
- Advising numerous international companies including banks, payment services providers and investment managers on compliance with the GDPR.
- Advising the Corporate Compliance Monitor of a bank appointed by the U.S. Department of Justice, the UK Financial Conduct Authority and the U.S. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System on data protection and bank secrecy related issues.
- Advising a global e-commerce company on dealing with an international data security breach.
- Assisting a global manufacturing company with a global data protection project including implementation of Binding Corporate Rules.
- Assisting various companies on data protection issues in the context of international arbitrations, litigations and investigations by foreign authorities including on data transfer issues.
In addition, she regularly speaks on data protection, cyber security and cloud computing and writes for a number of journals. She is also a contributor to various books on data protection and the EU General Data Protection Regulation, including the text book published by BNA on the GDPR and regularly posts on Sidley’s Privacy and Cybersecurity Practice blog.
In 2013, Geraldine co-founded Women in Privacy®, an international networking group established for women working as in-house counsel, compliance officers and other professionals in the field of privacy.
Geraldine is recommended in The Legal 500 UK 2017 for Data Protection, Privacy & Cybersecurity. In previous editions, clients described her as “very well-informed” and “experienced and communicative.” She is also listed in the 2019 edition of Who’s Who Legal: UK Global Elite Thought Leaders and the 2020 edition of Who’s Who Legal: Data.
Prior to joining Sidley, Geraldine practiced in France in leading French and English law firms focusing on computer law, e-commerce, data protection, privacy and communication law. Dual-qualified lawyer, admitted as a Solicitor in England and Wales in 2014, and French lawyer admitted to the Paris bar in 2005.
Admissions & Certifications
- England and Wales (Solicitor)
- Certificat d'Aptitude à la Profession d'Avocat (French Bar Exam certificate "CAPA")
- University Paris II Panthéon-Assas, DEA, 2004
- University Paris V René Descartes, DESS, 2003
- Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, Maîtrise, 2001