WILL SMITH is a transactional and advisory lawyer who focuses on the direct and indirect aspects of a range of international and UK tax matters. Whilst having a particular emphasis on representing a wide range of investment funds and investment advisers, Will has extensive experience in the tax aspects of cross-border investment and structuring, structured and cross-border finance (including CLOs), real estate structuring and transactions, corporate transactions and reorganizations and complex incentive arrangements (including carry).
By way of example, Will has recently been involved in the following transactions, representing:
- Inspired Entertainment, Inc., a leading supplier of gaming terminals in the UK, on the proposed transformational acquisition of the Gaming Technology Group of Novomatic UK Ltd.
- Variant Equity in its agreement to purchase Stagecoach Group’s North America Division.
- eBay Inc. on its acquisition of Motors.co.uk from Cox Automotive Relation Solutions.
- Cincinnati Financial Corporation on its acquisition of MSP Underwriting at Lloyd’s from Munich Re.
- Archer Daniels Midland on its acquisition of Probiotics International Limited, a UK-based provider of probiotic supplements for human, pet and production-animal use.
- Buckthorn Partners on its acquisition of TWMA Group Limited, a drilling waste management and solutions provider.
- Wells Fargo Bank NA in the purchase of its new European headquarters based in London.
Will was recommended in The Legal 500 UK 2017 for Corporate Tax, where clients note that he “blends technical excellence with a great grasp of business issues.” Most recently, he has been recognized by Chambers UK 2020, where clients say he is “excellent technically and hugely experienced; he provides clear and comprehensive advice on incredibly complex matters.”
Admissions & Certifications
- England and Wales (Solicitor)
- Cambridge University, LL.B., 2000
- Cambridge University, M.A., 2004