SHANNON M. THOMPSON is counsel in the Investment Funds group. Her practice focuses on private alternative investment funds — their structuring, management and related regulatory matters. Shannon advises and represents clients in the organization and operation of hedge funds, funds of funds, commodity pools and private equity-style funds.
Representative matters include:
- the formation and private offerings of investment funds (including domestic and offshore hedge funds, private equity funds, hybrid funds and commodity pools);
- the formation of private fund managers;
- managed accounts and single investor funds;
- hedge fund and futures fund platforms;
- funds of funds; and
- the development and updating of compliance procedures for investment advisers and commodity pool operators.
Shannon is a member of Sidley’s Investment Funds practice team that consistently wins top awards in the private funds industry: two-time winner of Chambers and Partners’ “Investment Funds Team of the Year for the U.S.”; Institutional Investor’s Alpha magazine’s 2014 Alpha Awards top “onshore” (U.S.) law firm serving the hedge fund industry; four-time recipient of first-tier national rankings in the U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” rankings for Private Funds/Hedge Funds Law, and Derivatives and Futures Law; and ranked in the top band for Hedge Funds by Chambers USA every year since 2008.
Shannon received her B.A. from the University of Chicago in 2009 and her J.D. from Columbia Law School in 2012.
*Not yet admitted to practice in Texas.