NICK TYGESSON is a litigation associate in the firm’s Chicago office. His practice focuses on federal securities class actions and other complex commercial litigation. He has represented individual and corporate clients in federal and state court and has broad litigation experience, including drafting dispositive motions and appellate briefs, taking depositions, working with expert witnesses and managing electronic discovery.
Nick’s representative matters include:
- Representation of major accounting firm in defense of federal securities litigation.
- Representation of the board of directors of a Fortune 500 company in defense of shareholder derivative litigation. Dismissal affirmed on appeal.
- Representation of producer of specialty chemical products in defense of federal securities litigation. Motion to dismiss granted.
- Representation of money transfer company and executive officers in defense of federal securities litigation. Case dismissed.
- Representation of former CEO in defense of federal securities litigation. Dismissal affirmed on appeal.
- Representation of major accounting firm in defense of professional negligence and consumer fraud claims. Case settled on the eve of trial.
- Representation of title insurance company in a putative class action. Denial of class certification affirmed on appeal.
Nick has been named by Leading Lawyers as an Emerging Lawyer in the area of Commercial Litigation. In addition, Nick maintains an active pro bono practice, including representing asylum clients and inmates on death row in Alabama as part of Sidley’s Capital Litigation Project.
Prior to joining the firm, Nick served as a law clerk to the Honorable Diane S. Sykes of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. He received his J.D. magna cum laude from Northwestern University School of Law, where he was an Articles Editor of the Northwestern University Law Review and received the William Jennings Bryan Award for winning the Julius H. Miner Court Competition. While in law school, Nick briefed and argued a criminal appeal before the Seventh Circuit as part of Northwestern’s Bluhm Legal Clinic. Nick earned his B.A. magna cum laude in History from Northwestern University, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.
Admissions & Certifications
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, N.D. of Illinois - General
- U.S. District Court, E.D. of Michigan
- Northwestern School of Law, J.D., 2013 (magna cum laude, Order of the Coif)
- Northwestern University, B.A., 2007 (magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa)
- Diane S. Sykes, U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit (2013 - 2014)